Thursday, February 22, 2018

Working his brain

I like it when I can just see Biscuit's brain churning. When he's trying to process something, you can see his eyes moving around, and he makes funny movements with his mouth.

I saw it the other night as he and I watched a show I had recorded for us.

The show is hosted by a guy who used to be in the British special forces. He plans an outing for various celebrities that includes rappelling off of cliffs and swimming through icy lakes and eating weird stuff like grubs or small rodents.

They spend the night out in the wild, and they have those personal video camera on all the time so you can see what they're doing and see their reactions to what's going on.

In the episode we watched the other night, the survival expert and the celebrity rappelled down this sheer cliff in Wales, right down onto big rocks at the edge of the ocean.

As they start to walk across the rocks, the survival expert looks down and sees a jellyfish. And I think to myself, "Well, there's their dinner."

And I was right.

The survival expert explained that they couldn't eat the tentacles, but they could eat the body. So he took a cloth out of his backpack and picked up the jellyfish.

He was trying to turn it over to see if it was alive or dead, and as soon as he flipped it, the jellyfish flopped out of his hand, stinging him in the process.

I've seen this guy get knocked around out in the wild, but you could tell that the jellyfish sting really hurt him.

They're out in the middle of nowhere, so they can run to the drugstore to pick up some medicine. That's when he started talking about an old-fashioned way to take the sting out of a jellyfish injury.

Pee.

Then he admitted that he had just peed, so he didn't have any left. So the celebrity lady said, "I can pee on it for you."

Biscuit looked up and said, "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Can you pause that?"

He said there for a minute, moving his hand around, trying to form his question. I could tell he was trying to process what he had heard.

"Okay," he said. "What I don't understand is ... I mean ... How did ... okay, so who was the first person to decide that you should pee on it? I mean, did they say, 'I rinsed it off, it still hurts. I put some medicine leaves on it, it still hurts. Oh, wait! I know! I'll pee on it!"

I had a hard time not laughing at him. He just couldn't fathom how someone would come to that conclusion. The funny thing is, scientists have proven that peeing on it doesn't actually work, but I guess it would be worth a try if you didn't have anything else.

That line of thought sent him to eggs.

"And also," Biscuit said, "who was the first person who saw animals eating eggs and thought, 'Hey, we can eat eggs, too, but before we eat them, we're going to put them in a pan with some butter and stir them around.'"

Needless to say, we never got to finish the show. By the time we discussed all his curiosities, it was time for him to get a shower and get to bed.

I didn't mind not finishing the show. I'd rather see his brain working any day.

No comments: