Sunday, February 18, 2018

Word turnabout

You teach them things, and they just turn it around on you!

Jeff was covering a basketball game, so I was helping Biscuit get ready for bed.

"Mom," he said, "will I have something to wear to school tomorrow?"

I'm not sure where the question came from. It's not like he has ever not had clothes to wear.

"No," I said. "You’ll have to go to school naked."

"Moooom!" Biscuit said.

"Dude!" I said. "I was being sarcastic."

"Tell me what that means again, Biscuit said..

So I told him, "It’s when you say something you don’t really mean to make a point. It’s like you’re saying, 'Well, duh!'"

The next morning, Biscuit was brushing his teeth with no shirt on.

"Are you gonna put a shirt on before you go to school?" I asked him.

"No," he said. "I’m just gonna go to school without one."

"What?!" I said.

And in a whisper, Biscuit said, "That’s sarcasm. Get it, Mom?"

And now that he understands it, he uses it often!

No comments: