Friday, February 16, 2018

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Let's make a deal: Bisucit was really tired one recent Saturday night. And since Jeff is the one who usually helps him get ready for bed, I guess he thought that he could pull make a deal with me.

"Mom, if I promise to brush my teeth three times tomorrow, can I just skip it tonight?" he asked.

"Let me think about that for a minute," I said and with no pause, I continued. "Um, no!"

"Aw, man!" Biscuit said. "Well, I guess it was worth a try."


An open mind: Jeff was talking to Biscuit recently about being a picky eater.

"Mom and I worry, dude," Jeff told him, "because a lot of the food that you like to eat is not great for your body. It's really not fair. Wouldn't it be great if green beans tasted like chocolate or peas and carrots tasted like cake? It's a cruel thing that foods that are good for you don't always taste great."

"That would be cool," Biscuit said. "Or if broccoli tasted like doughnuts?"

"Yes," Jeff said. "We just want you to keep an open mind about new foods. Do you know what keeping an open mind means?"

"I think it's figurative language," Biscuit said, "but I don't know what it means."

Jeff laughed. "Keeping an open mind means that you don't decide whether you like something or not before you even try it."

"Okay," Biscuit said. "I'll try."


A new word: One day a couple of weeks ago, I was doing some work from home, and I was ready to hurt somebody for doing a lousy job on something.

I closed my laptop, threw my hands up and said something I don't usually say. 

"You know what?" I said to Jeff. "Screw it!"

And Jeff took Biscuit up to get his shower while I calmed down and got the work stuff fixed.

As Biscuit was getting out of the shower, he asked Jeff, "What was that word Mom used earlier?"

"What word?" Jeff asked, knowing full well what word he was talking about.

"It was an S word," Biscuit said. "Something like 'scroot.'"

Jeff said he had a really hard time not laughing, and then he played dumb.

"I'm not sure, dude," Jeff said and then promptly changed the subject.

No comments: