Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Trip memories

I took quite a long break from writing blog posts, as you know. 2017 was a crazy, weird year for us.

But while I was taking a break, we traveled up to see Jeff's family. It's 10 hours each way in the car, and there's radio, DVDs (with headphones so Jeff and I can talk or listen to music), car games, snacks, etc.

I made a travel basket for Biscuit and put it beside him in the back seat. It had activity books, a travel magnetic hangman game, a couple of chapter books, some fun little toys and other things to keep him amused.

He also had his own snacks and bottles of water.

We were maybe two hours into the trip, and Biscuit said, "Mom, can you look back here?"

I turned around to see him with his ankle propped up on his knee and his hands behind his head.

"I am treated like royalty in this car, Mom," he said.

"Yes, you are," I told him.

As we traveled on, Biscuit would ask questions about things he was seeing. And of course, Jeff and I took every opportunity to make stuff up to see if he would believe it.

He asked one question, and Jeff's answer was a little too fantastical.

"Guys," Biscuit said indignantly, "I'm not as gullible as I used to be."

"What does gullible mean?" Jeff asked him.

"You know, when you're trickable," Biscuit said. "If you're not trickable, your not gullible. I know you made up that answer, Dad."

He's going to keep getting smarter, and we're not going to be able to mess with him anymore!

Jeff and I have been trying to take Biscuit to some of the places we went as kids, and we took one of those outings while we were there (more about that later).

After our day trip, we were heading back to Jeff's parents' house. We stopped for a bathroom break, but I stayed in the car. I noticed a Mennonite family to my left and wondered if Biscuit would notice them.

The dad was in a very basic outfit with black suspenders, shoes and hat. And the two sons were dressed just like him except with no hats. The mom had on a long dress with a little bonnet, and the girls were dressed just like her.

As Biscuit, Jeff and Grandma were walking out, the family was walking in. When he saw them, he said (out loud), "Hey, look, they must be having a re-enactment somewhere."

We have an annual Revolutionary War re-enactment in our city every year, and I've never seen any Mennonite people around here, so I guess that was the best answer he could come up with.

Anyway, we had a good time, and as always, we were amused by Biscuit's observance of the world around him.

No comments: