Sunday, February 11, 2018

Trying again

Out of nowhere, Biscuit asked me the other evening if I had written anything on the blog lately.

"Nope," I told him. "It's been a really long time."

"Would you mind writing some new stuff?" he asked. "You know our family and friends like to read about us."

So I guess I'll try to write some about what we're up to.

I assumed he'd be getting to the age where he's ask me not to write things about him anymore. But it was just the opposite.

So here's a funny thing that happened recently.

Biscuit had some testing at school last week, and I asked Jeff if he would make him a good breakfast that would keep him full through the testing period.

I had already packed Biscuit's lunch. I make homemade versions of those lunch kits you can get at the grocery store. I put in crackers, shredded cheese, pepperoni and a little bit of pizza sauce.

When I picked Biscuit up after school, I told him that Jeff was covering a basketball game, so it would be just me and him for the evening.

"Where are we going, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"Um, home," I said. "Is there somewhere you'd like to go?"

"Well, I thought we might go out to eat, just the two of us," he said.

"Where would you like to go?" I asked him.

"PIZZA!" Biscuit said.

"You had build-your-own pizza for lunch," I told him.

"Yes, and Dad gave me a slice of pizza for breakfast this morning," Biscuit said. "So I was just thinking how cool it would be to have pizza for all three meals in one day."

It sounded like a life goal to me, so I drove us over to a pizza place we like. And I took a picture of the boy to send to Jeff. Biscuit said it would make Jeff jealous.


I guess getting to make his life goal come true put Biscuit in a good mood because he was very charming with the server. He went to the bathroom at one point, and on his way back, he looked straight ahead and walked past our table like he didn't know me.

I turned around just in time to see look back and grin. "You thought I didn't know where I was going, right, Mom?"

We laughed and ate our food, and it was soon time to leave.

When we got to the front door, Biscuit leaned on it to open it, but nothing happened. The doors are kind of hard to open, so I reached right above his head and gave the door a shove. Biscuit staggered out onto the sidewalk.

"Well that was anti-climactic," he said.

"What?" I asked him, confused.

"I don't even know what that means, Mom," he said. "I just wanted to use a big word."

As we were walking to the car, he asked, "Was it coincidental? That's a big word, too."

"It wasn't anti-climactic or coincidental," I told him.

On the way home, he made me explain what those words mean so he could use them correctly the next time.

And he made his goal of three meals of pizza in one day.

No comments: