Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentine's Day!

Jeff and I don't usually do anything for Valentine's Day, but you know kids, they want to celebrate EVERYTHING!

Biscuit asked if I'd make some cookies for him to give his teachers, and I figured I'd bake enough for some people at work and our neighbors. And I thought that would be it.

Jeff took Biscuit to his piano lesson, and I stayed home to bake.

I thought they came out well. I especially liked the festive sprinkles!


Red Velvet Whoopie Pies and Chocolate Kiss Cookies.
When Jeff and Biscuit got home, Biscuit was wound up.

"Mom! Mom!" he said. "We got you a couple of things, but you can only get one tonight. The other one is for tomorrow. So close your eyes and hold out your hands."

I did what he told me, and when I opened my eyes, I had a little pot of purple irises, my favorite flowers.




"Do you like them, Mom? They're your favorite, right? I picked them out just for you," Biscuit told me. "And best of all, guess what?"


And when Biscuit says, "Guess what?" one of two things is going to happen.

Biscuit: Guess what?
Jeff: Chicken butt.

or

Biscuit: Guess what? (Then he waits until you say "what" before he starts talking again.)

So I answered him, and he said, "The best part is that these irises are re-growable. You can plant them somewhere and enjoy them again and again!"

I made a proper fuss over them, and when I walked into the kitchen this morning to make his lunch, he handed me a heart made of my favorite candy.



It didn't escape me that this is one of his favorite candies, too.

I packed Biscuit one of the sprinkle cookies in his lunch. And I used a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut a heart into the middle of his sandwich.

As he was walking out the door, I said, "Dude! Thank you for my candy. I'm going to wait until you get home to eat it so you can have some, too. Okay?"

"You're going to share your Valentine candy with me, Mom?" he asked in quite a surprised voice.

"Of course!" I told him.

"Wow!" he said. "You're the best mom ever!"

I'm not sure how long that kind of admiration will last, but for the time being, I'm soaking it up like a sponge.

Happy Heart Day, everybody!

No comments: