Monday, April 24, 2017

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently: 


Your choice, but not really: Biscuit has a series of books called "The A to Z Mysteries." There are 26 books with about 100 pages each, and each one uses the letter in the title. Like the A book is "The Absent Author." I got a really good deal on the whole set by buying it used, and they're in really good shape.

We read them to him first. Then he read them himself. And he's read several of them a couple of times since then.

So as I was tucking him in one night, I asked him if he would like for me to read to him.

"Yes, please," he said. "Can you read one of the 'A to Z Mysteries' books?"

"Sure," I said. "Which one?"

"Um, you pick," he said.

"Okay, let me see," I said as I perused the titles.

"Of course, if I was going to pick," he said, "I'd pick G for Griffin. But you can pick whichever one you want."

I'll just cut to the chase and say that I read two chapters in the G book!


Getting technical: "Mom, what does 2-D stand for?" Biscuit asked. "You know, the scientifical words for it."


Things aren't always what they seem: 
Biscuit's class did a study on 2-D and 3-D shapes (that's two-dimensional and three-dimensional, since I didn't answer the question above!), and the teacher asked the parents to send in snacks that represent some of the shapes.

Bugles for cones, Tootsie Rolls for cylinders, Ritz crackers for circles, saltines for squares, blocks of cheese for cubes and others.

One thing on the list was oyster crackers. It didn't say what shape these would represent, but I remember when I was a kid that we used to get oyster crackers shaped like hexagons with six sides. So I assumed that's what she was looking for. But when I went to the store to get some, I found that all the major namebrands had gone to a round shape.

But as I was looking down the cracker aisle, I came across these. And apparently they were a hit.

Image result for annie's saltines

I was planning to make some chili, so I went ahead and got some oyster crackers anyway.

The next night for dinner, I dipped up the chili and put shredded cheese and the oyster crackers on the table. Biscuit helped himself to cheese, but not crackers.

"Aren't you going to eat some crackers?" I asked him.

"Um, Mom," Biscuit said. "I don't like oysters."

"First of all," I said, "you've never tried oysters. And second of all, these crackers aren't made OF oysters, goofball. A lot of people put them in oyster stew."

"So you're saying that they're just regular crackers?" Biscuit asked.

"Yes," I said. "They taste almost exactly like regular saltine crackers."

"I'll just take your word for it, Mom," Biscuit said. And he didn't eat a single cracker!

No comments: