Sunday, March 1, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently: 


Madam President: Biscuit's teacher loves history and the presidents. She has shared of lot of facts and stories with the kids.

Biscuit struck up a conversation with me about some of it the other day.

"Mom, did you know that Obama is first black president?" Biscuit asked. And he always uses this tone like I couldn't possibly know anything he ever talks about.

"Yes, I did know that," I said.

"Has there been a woman president?" Biscuit asked.

"Not yet," I said.

"Mom, do you think a woman make a good president?" Biscuit asked.

"I think so," I said. "But not just any woman. It would have to be somebody who makes good decisions and thinks about what's best for everybody."

"Someone like you, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

Whoa! My boy thinks I could be president. I think I'll print this one out and have it laminated, so when he gets to be a know-it-all teenager, I can show it to him!


Animal facts: "Mom, giant squids hunt at night and swim around in the ocean during the day," Biscuit said. "Do you know what that means?"

"What?" I asked.

"That means that they're nocturnal and DAYturnal!"

I had to bite back a grin. I don't want Biscuit to ever think I'm laughing at him, but when he comes up with a word like "dayturnal," it's really hard not to giggle.


Favorite pasttime: Jeff was giving Biscuit a bath the other night, and out of nowhere, Biscuit started talking to Jeff about his favorite pasttime.

"Dad, you know what I really like to do?" Biscuit asked Jeff. "I love to talk. I like to chat-chat (instead of chit-chat)."

Then there was a pause. 

"You know why I like to talk, Dad?" Biscuit asked. And before Jeff could answer, he said, "I just have so many exciting things to tell people. And I have so many questions I want to ask, too."

"Well, you do talk well," Jeff said. "And it's always important to ask questions. But it's important to listen, too, boy. That's how you learn things."

Sometimes Biscuit seems quite self-aware for a kid his age.

No comments: