Monday, March 9, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


And modest, too: I picked Biscuit up from his afterschool program today, and we headed straight to piano lessons. After that, we ran to the store to buy bread, peanut butter, cereal and a few other things. Then Jeff called to say he was leaving work, and we picked the restaurant where we'd have dinner. 

Mondays are jam-packed. And this particular one was harder than it needed to be because my dear son decided that he knows everything and doesn't need to bother listening to anyone else ... including his piano teacher ... and me ... and Jeff.

So we didn't roll through the toy department to look around like we usually do. And we didn't go down the book aisle. And he didn't get to ride in the buggy. And he didn't get to pick the restaurant.

None of these will have a great effect on Biscuit's life, but for this evening, they proved my point! You don't listen, you don't get to do fun things.

As soon as Biscuit figured out that I was disappointed with his lack of listening, he started sucking up.

And the kicker came as we pulled into the driveway and started to unload the car.

I grabbed my pocketbook, lunch bag, phone, keys and water bottle and walked to the mailbox.

As I came back up to the car, Biscuit was holding my sweater, my jacket, his school backpack, his lunch bag and his piano backpack.

"Mom, I'm carrying all my stuff and some of your stuff, too," Biscuit said. "Am I doing something nice?" 

"Yes," I said. "Yes you are."

I grabbed my sweater and my jacket from him (both of which I had planned to leave in the car, by the way).

"Thank you for getting my sweater and jacket," I said.

"Mom, I just want you to know that I'm a really helpful kid," Biscuit said. "I just really know how to do nice things to help out."

Wow! Imagine if he had put that much effort into just listening in the first place?!


Added emphasis: Biscuit is learning to pepper his speech with extra little exclamations. And I'm not sure where some of them came from, but they are too funny when he throws them out there.

Biscuit and I were leaving school this afternoon, and as we walked out toward the car, Biscuit said, "Mom! It is stinkin' hot out here!"

And then, just to make sure I had noticed what he said, Biscuit said, "Mom, did you hear me stay stinkin'? My teacher told me that I was 'stinkin' smart,' and I just liked how it sounded. So I decided to say it, too."

The other day, Biscuit and I were leaving school, and as we walked through the multipurpose room, we saw some mini chocolate chip cookies on the floor.

"Watch out for the cookies," I said to Biscuit, not thinking too much about it.

"Mom! Who in the daggum world dropped cookies in the floor and didn't clean it up?" Biscuit said. "Just who in the daggum world, Mom?"

"I don't know, baby," I said. "There's just no telling what people are thinking sometimes." 

No comments: