Sunday, September 14, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

Go Fish: Biscuit wanted to buy a present for his Grandmama's birthday. I already had her presents bought and wrapped when he made this decision, so I suggested he pick out a game the two of them could play together. He decided on Go Fish.

Grandmama unwrapped the gift, made a fuss, then taught Biscuit how to play. We must have played 15 games while she was here.

These cards are a little different than the way we played Go Fish. We always played with a regular deck of cards. But the ones Biscuit picked out have different kinds of sea animals on them, and you ask the player next to you for a suckerfish or a dolphin or a sea turtle or a sea snake or a crab or a blowfish, etc.

Biscuit loves to learn new words and phrases, and it's really fun to hear him either use them correctly or attempt to use them correctly. And of course the attempts are what bring the laughs.

For at least three turns, Biscuit had been asking Jeff, "Dad, do you have a crab?"

And every time, Jeff would say, "Nope. Go fish."

On the fourth time Biscuit asked, Jeff handed over a crab he had picked up when he had to draw a card.

Biscuit was so excited. "FINALLY!" he said. "Finally, I got what I deserved."


Who's the boss? I'm always interested to hear Biscuit talk about the roles of everybody in our house (and sometimes the people in other houses, too!).

It's definitely true that I make all the mundane daily decisions ... what's for dinner, our social calendar, the household, grocery and clothing shopping, etc.

But it was pretty funny to hear Biscuit describe it. And also to explain what happens when Jeff might not go along with the plans.

"Mom, did you know that Moms are the boss of the house?" Biscuit said.

"Is that right?" I asked him.

"Yes," Biscuit said. "And Dads, they just argue with the Moms all the time. And then they get in trouble with the Moms."

"Do Moms love the Dads even when they're in trouble?" I asked him.

"Yes," Biscuit said. "And sometimes they even want to hug and kiss them."

"I guess you're right," I told him. 

Except that the kissing and hugging have to wait until the Moms are done being mad at the Dads. But that's a lesson for another day.


Just get it over with: Jeff, Biscuit and I were playing on our bed yesterday. We're very physical with Biscuit, and he loves it. We make him turn flips and roll over and pile pillows on top of him. And Biscuit just giggles with delight. I think that's the time I feel closest to Jeff and Biscuit both. 

So we were playing, and I was making threats to Biscuit.

"Okay, if you don't come back over on my side, you'll live to regret it," I said.

"Why? What are you going to do?" Biscuit asked.

"You'll just have to come over here and find out," I said. "Come take it like a man."

Finally, Biscuit let out the big sigh, "Okaaaaay," he said. "Why don't you just get it over with and beat my butt?"

I started laughing, and Biscuit just stared at me. "What?" he said. "What, Mom?"

But I was laughing so hard, I couldn't even do anything else to torture him!

No comments: