Thursday, September 11, 2014

His own social life

TOMORROW NIGHT IS MOVIE NIGHT!!! DID YOU HEAR ME? IT'S MOVIE NIGHT!!!!!!!

Tomorrow evening, Biscuit's school is having Parents' Night Out. And Biscuit is SO excited about going.

We got a letter about it Monday, and I read it to Biscuit. Before I could even finish reading, he said, "Mom, can I go?"

The PTA is holding the event to raise money for the fifth-grade trip to Washington. We'll drop off our boy at 5:30 p.m. and pick him up at 8 p.m. For $7, the kids get two slices of pizza and a juice box, then they show them a movie.

It won't really be a parents' night out for Jeff and me because Jeff won't be home by 5:30. But I still have a gift card from a fancy kitchen store that I got for my birthday ... in July! So I might just do a little shopping.

When Biscuit said he wanted to go, I said, "You know this isn't a class event, right? You might not know anyone there."

"That's okay, Mom," Biscuit said.

I wasn't trying to scare him, but I wanted to make sure he knew that there might not be people there that he knew. "Well who will you talk to if you don't know anybody there?" I asked him.

"Mom," Biscuit said in his most condescending voice. "On the first day of school, I was pretty shy, and I didn't talk to anybody. But on the second day, BOOM! I just started talking to people. I realized that if you just start talking to people, then BOOM! you'll make new friends."

I'm very proud of his independence (although I could do with the BOOM exclamations). I guess he's just excited because this is his first social event without Jeff and me. And Lord knows I hope he has a good time. If I had to put money on it, I would be that he'll love the pizza and be so wrapped up in the movie that it won't matter if he's the only one there!

No comments: