Monday, January 6, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

To hear or not to hear: Sometimes we say things to Biscuit, and it's like it goes in one ear and out the other. Then sometimes he surprises us by quoting verbatim something we told him what seems like forever ago.

Biscuit can be a bad sport when we're playing games. He doesn't like to lose, and he doesn't like to play games he isn't good at. He thinks the first time he plays a game, he should play well and win. And he pouts and wants to quit when that doesn't happen.

And then sometimes, he looks you straight in the eye and repeats something you said to him at least two years ago.

"Mom, you know what happens when you play a game? You get what you get, and you don't pitch a fit," Biscuit said.

The best part? We weren't even playing a game. He just quoted that scolding out of thin air!


Have it your way: Biscuit's language is a mixed-up version of mine and Jeff's accents and word choice.

Biscuit says that Jeff "mows the lawn" instead of "cut the grass" like I say. Biscuit also "presses" buttons. I "mash" them.

I eat "hamburgers," but Jeff eats "burgers." I could've sworn I've said "hamburgers" around Biscuit before, but one recent night, Biscuit seemed a little confused.

"Mom, what are we having for dinner?" Biscuit asked.

Actually, here's another one, although it's a family thing, not a cultural one. Jeff says "sloppy joes," and we always called them "scrambled hamburgers."

So when Biscuit asked what we were having for dinner, I said, "We're having scrambled hamburgers."

To which Biscuit replied, "I want a hamburger, but I don't want any ham on it. Okay, Mom?"

"I'll see what I can do," I told him.


More food fun: "Mom, what did you make me for lunch?" Biscuit asked.

"Grilled cheese sandwich," I said to him.

"Mom, does it HAVE to be a girl cheese sandwich or can it be a boy cheese sandwich?" Biscuit asked. "I would rather have a boy cheese sandwich."

"It's not 'girl' cheese, it's GRILLED cheese," I said to Biscuit.

"OH!" Biscuit said. "That was a close one, Mom."

No comments: