Monday, January 20, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


Helpful hero: Biscuit announced at the dinner table the other night that he had created a new superhero.

His name? Easy Man.

"What is Easy Man's power?" I asked Biscuit.

"Well," Biscuit said in his explanatory tone. "Easy Man helps people do things that are usually hard, but he makes them easy. Like, if you tried and tried and tried to do something, but you couldn't do it. Easy Man could help. And then it would be easy."

I wish I could capture Biscuit's tone of voice. He explains things with such confidence, like how could it possibly be any other way?

I like the idea of Easy Man. I think I'll get him to come to work with me from now on!


It doesn't add up: We were practicing math with Biscuit at the dinner table the other night, and we were telling him how you use math all the time.

"Do you and Dad know about math?" Biscuit asked.

"Yep," I said. "Watch this."

I turned to Jeff and said, "Jeff, what's 52 + 40?"

"92," Jeff said, and Biscuit's eyes got really big.

"Whoa!" Biscuit said. "That was good."

Then I said, "Okay, Jeff, what's 120 + 110?" 

And without missing a beat, Jeff said, "226" and grinned at me.

I guess Biscuit sensed that something wasn't quite right.

"Mom, is that right?" Biscuit asked.

"No!" I said. "Dad's being silly."

"I just think Dad is not too good at math after all," Biscuit said.

"I think maybe you're right," I said.


Real or make believe: Jeff and Biscuit were watching TV this evening. Biscuit still has a hard time trying to figure out what is real and what isn't when he sees it on TV.

"Dad, I know that the gecko isn't real, but is car insurance real?" Biscuit asked.

"Yes, boy," Jeff said. "Car insurance is definitely real."

And although I can't imagine Biscuit being anywhere near old enough to drive, he'll find that out for himself one day!

No comments: