Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A crazy day

What a hectic day we had today.

Biscuit and I had dental checkups this morning at 9:20 and 10 a.m., respectively. Both appointments went well, but we both needed followup appointments.

Biscuit had to get a filling in 2012 on one of his back teeth, and somehow, that filling has gone missing. He hasn't complained, and we have no idea how it could've come out.

I have a couple of fillings that I got in high school that are starting to wear out. The sealant material they used back then wasn't as good as the stuff they have now, so I've got to get those two fillings replaced.

My appointment is in early October, but when I called about Biscuit's problem, they said to bring him at 2:40 today. Biscuit's checkup appointments are with our family dentist, but when we found out he needed a filling in 2012, we wanted to go to a pediatric dentist

Jeff gets so nervous about going to the dentist because his childhood dental experiences weren't that great. I was lucky enough to have a great dentist, and I definitely wanted Biscuit to have that same experience.

The pediatric dentist has a sailboat/fish/ocean theme in his office. He sings to the kids while he works on them. He rubs flavored Chapstick into the laughing gas mask before the kids use it, so it has a nice smell for them. He also has a really cool prize and sticker drawer. Each kid gets one of each.

So back to this morning. 

I was already going in late to work because of our morning appointments. Then I counted it up and realized I was going to have to leave the office by 1:45 to drive 20 minutes to pick up Biscuit, then drive another 20 minutes to the dentist office.

Biscuit and I got to his appointment about 10 minutes early. The office wasn't busy, so they called us right back.

Because all the drilling had been done back in 2012, all the dentist had to do was clean it out well and fill it back up. There was no laughing gas, no drama, no waiting, no prepping, no nothing. They had the filling compound ready to go when we got there.

Biscuit sat down in the chair at 2:35. He asked for the Spider-Man blanket, and they started work. At 2:42, the dentist was done.

Seven minutes. SEVEN MINUTES! and they were done.

Biscuit did great. He sat still and opened wide. Dr. Scott made a big fuss over him, and Biscuit got a red car and a Superman sticker for his troubles.

And to top it all off, Dr. Scott said there would be no charge for his work today because the filling shouldn't have come out.

All in all, it was a great experience ... if you can say that about going to the dentist.

Biscuit and I got in the car, and I realized that the whole process took a tiny, tiny portion of the time I assumed it would take. Jeff had an interview at someone's house at 3:30, and he was going to take Biscuit home after that.

Well, that meant that I had to keep Biscuit occupied from 2:45 to about 4:30. I certainly couldn't take him to the office for that long.

So poor me, I had to go shopping!

We went to a clothing store where I had a 20% off your total purchase coupon. I picked up some fall clothes. I used to love to shop, but since the boy got here, it can't be as leisurely as it used to be. With him in tow, I have to stroll through my section, grab what I want to try on, head to the dressing rooms, make my decisions and hit the checkout. No dilly-dallying.

Biscuit and I got to the office and socialized with a few people. Then Jeff took him home, and I got back to work.

Then ... whew, this makes me tired just thinking about it.

After I left work, about an hour later than usual, we took Biscuit to the shoe store for new shoes. That took about half an hour. 

Jeff and I had eye doctor checkups yesterday, so we went into a store to look for new glasses. That took FORever. Biscuit was a champ, though. The glasses guy made him a paper football to play with. Then he played a couple of games on my phone. Then he started pointing out pairs of glasses he wanted me to try on. I tried on his choices, but they're not the ones I chose. He was convinced that I needed red glasses because red is my favorite color.

Copper-colored? Yes. Red? Not so much.

We finally got a quick dinner about 8:15.

As we were leaving the restaurant at close to 9 o'clock, Biscuit reminded me that I told him that he could buy a toy because he did such a good job at both dentist offices.

Biscuit sleeps from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. I know his bedtime is a lot later than other kids his age, but he gets plenty of sleep, and the timing works out well for us.

But even with a later bedtime, we were going to be cutting it close. We had to buy the toy, drive home, get him a bath, brush his teeth and get him in bed. And all he wanted to do was play with his new toy.

It was quite a crazy day, and we missed Biscuit's bedtime by about half an hour, but he got clean teeth, a new filling, two prizes and two stickers (one of each from each dentist), two new pairs of shoes and a new toy.

If he asks for anything tomorrow, the answer is no!

No comments: