Friday, March 1, 2013

Tired baby

I had a blog post in mind to write tonight, but my Biscuit baby got clingy toward the end of the evening.

I rolled up a bunch of loose change ($71.50 worth), and Biscuit wanted to help sort the coins. There were brown ones, big gray ones, medium gray ones and small gray ones.

We lost track of time, and it was close to 11 p.m. before we realized it. I told Biscuit it was bedtime, but he decided he just had to watch one more cartoon. Biscuit walked into my bedroom and turned on the TV. The shows on his channel go off at 10 p.m., so Biscuit just looked around, then started to sob. He was so upset. I felt bad for the little man.

He came walking back into the living room, climbed up into my lap and laid his head over on my shoulder.

I remember a time, that seems like just yesterday, when he would lay his head on my shoulder and his feet would come nowhere near touching my lap. But tonight, his head was on my shoulder with his arms all splayed out, his rear end was right about waist level on me, and his legs were dangling down between mine. He's gotten so big. Of course, Biscuit is still small for his age, so I can't imagine what it's like to have a kid that grows fast.

Anyway, Jeff went up and grabbed a pair of PJs and brought them downstairs. I got Biscuit changed right there in the living room, then he climbed right back onto my shoulder. I was rocking and rubbing his back, and in no time, he was sound asleep.

I really can't remember the last time I was able to hold him while he slept. It was wonderful. I could hear him breathing into my neck. I could feel his heartbeat. My hand was rising and falling as I laid it on his back. I just marveled at this human being Jeff and I created.

And then I realized how heavy he's gotten. He's still only 32 pounds (most kids his age are about 40 pounds), but it feels heavier when he's dead weight.

Biscuit is tucked into bed now, and I'm heading there shortly, but I just wanted to capture how it felt to hold his sleeping body in my arms again.

No comments: