Thursday, March 7, 2013

What's my name again?

Biscuit has somehow or another learned about the Ninja Turtles (which he calls Minja Turtles).

We blame his former day care. It got to where they were watching about an hour of TV a day, and it was mostly shows and movies brought in by the kids. That's all we can think of because we've never mentioned or watched the turtles, and when I asked my Mama if he might've seen them at her house, she said she didn't even know they were back in style. They first came out in the 1980s.

So Biscuit told Jeff and me that we were Minja Turtles like him. But he couldn't remember their names. He asked me if I would use my computer to look up their names, and I reluctantly gave in. I was thinking that if I remembered correctly, those turtles were pretty violent and used some pretty serious weapons.


Each turtle has a belt buckle with his initial. Their names are (from left)
Raphael (Raph),
Donatello (Donnie), Leonardo (Leo) and Michelangelo (Mikey).

And once I looked them up, I found that yes, they do use serious weapons.

So I asked Biscuit what these turtles do, and he went into this long discussion of how these turtles use their swords to ching the bad guys, and sometimes when they ching the bad guys, they fall down dead.

And here's where I struggle.

I want Biscuit to use his imagination and to play and pretend, but does he have to be so violent about it? My guess is that he still doesn't even comprehend what "dead" means, but I have no idea what to say to him when he talks about beating up bad guys or using guns or chinging swords or whatever else he comes up with.

And that's very common among all the boys his age, more so by far at his old day care (another reason we moved him).

Despite all the pretend violence, Biscuit was pretty cute and funny when he put together his Minja Turtle outfit. He still couldn't remember our character names, so he would come running into the living room and say, "Hey! I'm here!" Then he would whisper out the side of his mouth and ask, "Mom, what's my name again?" I would tell him, then he would start his speech over.

"Hey! I'm Mikey! Have you seen any bad guys around here ..." And again with the whispering, "Mom, what's yours and Dad's names?"

"We're Donnie and Leo," I said.

"Yeah, yeah," Biscuit said. "Hey! I'm Mikey! Have you guys Donnie and Leo seen any bad guys around here?"

This was not smooth role playing.

Here he is as a Minja Turtle (although I'm not sure how he thought he could see with no holes in his mask).


No comments: