Sunday, March 10, 2013

Out of the mouth of my babe

Here are a few things Biscuit has said recently:

Safety first: Biscuit got a remote control dump truck with a construction site for Christmas. It's a very cool set. You can drive the truck onto a lift that takes it up to the second floor. Then it follows a track back onto another lift that brings it back down. There's a dump site where you can flip a lever and load up the truck with big rocks, too.

Anyway, when Biscuit plays with this set, he always talks about safety gear.

"Mom, you want to play construction workers with me?" Biscuit asked.

"Sure," I said. "What do we have to do?"

"Well," Biscuit said in the tone he uses when he's about to explain things to his poor old stupid mother. "The first thing you do is put on your safety goggles."

"Okay," I said, as I put on my imaginary goggles. "Then what?"

"Then we put on our heart attack hats," Biscuit said. "Those protect your head in case something falls on you."

I wanted to correct him, but I was trying too hard not to laugh. We'll address it on another day.

 
Bad guys: There's a new cartoon on one of the two channels Biscuit gets to watch on TV. It's about a little boy who is a knight. So we've had to use plastic golf clubs as swords, and we have to be careful when we ride our hoses so we won't fall into the moat.

But today, we faced even bigger problems ... the bad guys.

"Mom," Biscuit said with a scowl, "the knights have to be very careful because there are some bad guys out there."

"Are the bad guys trying to hurt the knights?" I asked him.

"Yes," Biscuit said. "They'll try to ching us with their swords."

"Who are the bad guys?" I asked.

"They're a special kind of kings," Biscuit said. "They're bad kings. And you know what they're called?"

"What are they called?" I asked.

"VIE-kings," Biscuit said. "The Vikings are bad, bad guys."


Easter's here: I have no desire to fight the crowds at all the big public Easter egg hunts around here, so I decided to have one at home. I invited several kids Biscuit's age, and I'll serve some lunch, and we'll all be able to relax and let the kids enjoy the hunt.


So Biscuit and I ran by the store to pick up a few more plastic eggs. (Once I got home and dug out the container of plastic eggs I already had, I realized that I could have skipped the trip to the store!)

Biscuit asked about the eggs, and I said, "Do you remember going to the Easter egg hunt at Grandmama's church last year? Where the adults hid the eggs and all the kids found them?"

"Ooo, yeah," Biscuit said. "That was fun. Can we play hide-and-go-eggs here at home, Mom?"

I smiled and looked at Biscuit, trying not to laugh.

"What?" Biscuit said. "What is it, Mom?"

"Nothing," I said. "Do you want to hide them or find them?"

"You hide them, and I'll find them," Biscuit said. "Hide-and-go-eggs is the best Easter game EVER!"


Change of season: Jeff was watching cartoons with Biscuit the other night. It was a show about an animal rescue worker who came upon a lost baby bear.

The animal rescuer found out that the baby grizzly bear work up and couldn't find its family. The bear said his whole family had been asleep for the winter, and he woke up and didn't know where he was.

"Hey, boy," Jeff said. "Do you know what that's called? When bears sleep all winter and wake up in the spring?"

"Uh-huh," Biscuit said. "That's called hide-a-neighbor."

No comments: