Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A weekend at home

Part of my new job is writing an occasional column. And this past week, it was about all the things Biscuit and I could do while Jeff was covering the basketball tournament.

It was basically a list of things anyone in town who doesn't like basketball could do.

But Thursday afternoon, Biscuit's day care called to say that he was running a fever and had thrown up.

Oh joy!

The woman who called made it sound like Biscuit was having a puke party. But when I got there, I found out that he had only thrown up once. And his teacher said from its appearance, she thought it was just sinus drainage. (I know how gross this is, but if you're already a parent, you get it. If you're not a parent, trust me when I say that you can have full conversations about all kinds of body processes and functions!)

Anyway, I scooped Biscuit up and brought him home.

One good thing about my new job is that I can do some of the work from home. I have access to websites and email and other things that mean I can sit in my rocking chair while Biscuit lies on the couch under a blanket watching cartoons. And that's exactly what happened.

After his medicine kicked in, Biscuit started feeling a little better. At least good enough to play a little and make a complete mess of the living room.

 


Biscuit's day care has a 24-hour rule that says a kid who has a fever can't come back to day care until it's been 24 hours. So that meant that Biscuit couldn't go to day care Friday.

Jeff had to cover basketball games Friday, so his schedule was non-negotiable.

Since I had an event to attend for my job Friday evening, I decided I would take care of that, then head into the office Friday night to finish up my week. It's been almost 7 years since I worked on the night shift, and I can tell you that it's not like riding a bike. I was so sleepy as I was driving home that I had to call Jeff and get him to talk to me during the whole drive.

Biscuit had been invited to a birthday party that was happening Saturday morning, but the event was an hour from our house. He was still running a fever Saturday morning, so we didn't get to go. Even if he hadn't had the fever, though, I would've been nervous about him riding that far and possibly getting sick. I could live happily the rest of my life without ever having to clean up another car seat after a barf attack!

So Biscuit and I stayed home together ... THE WHOLE WEEKEND!

Firefighter Biscuit is ready for action.

Biscuit was feeling well enough Sunday to play and be more active. But by then, he had passed his cold on to me. So I was grumpy and having quite the pity party. And Jeff was still working.

I considered trying to get us out of the house, but I just didn't have the gumption to get up and get us ready to go. So we just hung out.

Then, Biscuit said something to me that was worse than if he'd walked up and punched me in the gut.

"Mom, what is the day of the week?" he asked.

"It's Sunday," I said.

"Oh," he said, sounding very deflated.

"Why do you ask?" I asked him.

"If it's Sunday, that means I have to stay here," Biscuit said with his head hanging down.

He knows that he stays home with Jeff and me on Saturday and Sunday, but he usually says, "I GET to stay home with you and Dad." Sunday, he said, "that means I HAVE to stay here."

Thanks a lot!

I realized that when you're dealing with a 4-year-old, you don't get to sit around and feel sorry for yourself. You have to suck it up and be a parent.

"Hey!" I said, trying to muster up some excitement. "I've been meaning to look through your books and see if there are any that aren't big boy books. If there are some you don't like anymore, we can give them away."

So Biscuit and I sat down in the living room floor and looked at a bunch of books. We stacked them according to size, and we read a bunch of them, and we weeded out some that he doesn't like anymore (and Biscuit weeded back in a few that I had tried to weed out).

Biscuit was asleep by the time Jeff got home Sunday night, but things improved on Monday. We were back on our regular routine, Dad was home, and things were a lot better.

No comments: