Monday, March 11, 2013

Taking one for the team

A post from The Daddy Man:

Today was the first weekday since the time change, and Kimmy promised Biscuit this morning that we could play outside when we got home.

We got home later than usual, which seems to happen a lot these days, so I took Biscuit outside while Kimmy cooked dinner.

Biscuit rode his scooter. Then he rode the coolest tricycle ever. It's more like a metal Big Wheel than a tricycle.

After that, Biscuit said he wanted to play baseball. So we got our gloves, Biscuit's t-ball bat and a wiffle ball, and we walked around to the backyard to play.

I was pitching the ball to him underhanded, and he was making some pretty good hits. Then he said he wanted me to throw it overhanded like the real pitchers do.

I should've trusted my gut. Wiffle balls don't fly straight.

I threw the ball overhanded, and it beaned him right on the left cheek, right near his eye.

And he cried and he cried and he cried.

I'm pretty sure it scared him more than anything else. He's never been hit with a pitched ball before, and he didn't know enough to get out of the way.

Biscuit cried for a few minutes, then he was fine. He was ready for me to pitch to him some more. Not long after that, Kimmy called us in for dinner, and all was forgotten.

No comments: