Sunday, September 2, 2012

I'm glad he's a boy

The day I found out I was pregnant, I start picturing all the little dresses and ruffles I would put her in. 

Then a few nights later, I started dreaming about boys and men. Sometimes they would just be standing around in a room as I walked through. Sometimes I actually had conversations with them. But I dreamed about boys and men the whole time I was pregnant.

So when it was time to go for the gender-reveal ultrasound, I wasn't excited. I already knew what I was having. I told Jeff that if they told me it was a girl, I'll fall right off the table.

Sure enough, it was a boy. The ultrasound tech looked a little surprised when I immediately looked at Jeff and said, "I told you!"

I wasn't sure what I would do with a boy. I had a brother growing up, and I had childhood friends who were boys. And cousins who were boys.

On second thought, maybe I just wanted to get away from all the boys!

But I guess I was really thinking about the relationship I have with my Mama, and I assumed I would have that with my daughter.

Fast forward to now ... my boy has the coolest toys. He has cars and trucks and blocks and Legos, and we get to crash them and knock them around. We get dirty. And Biscuit loves when we throw him around and have horseplay and pillow fights.

And now, I can't imagine not having a boy. Now, I wonder whatever I would do with a little girl.

See the mess below? Biscuit didn't make that mess. I did. While Biscuit was taking a nap, I set up a loop-de-loop with his racetracks, and I sent every one of his cars through the loop to see if they would make it to the end of the track and sail up on to the hearth. And I had a really fun time doing it.

But don't tell Biscuit. He might get mad if he found out I was playing with his toys without him!




No comments: