Sunday, September 9, 2012

A full day

I sort of dreaded getting started yesterday because I knew there was so much on our list of things to do. Unlike usual, the list was all stuff outside our house (not that I don't have a list of things to do INSIDE the house, too).

Jeff, Biscuit and I left our house at about 11:30 a.m. yesterday and headed to one of the local home improvement stores. Two hours later (yes TWO hours later), we were leaving ... with air filters, paint chips, a toilet flapper, 7-watt low-voltage light bulbs and about a thousand ideas of things we can do with our house.

Our shopping worked up our appetites, so we stopped for pizza. It was such a weird time to eat lunch that we were the only people in the whole restaurant. I didn't mind, though, because our food was fresh and our server was attentive.

Next we headed the other home improvement store. We got a new birdfeeder, more paint chips, a light switch cover, a plug-in cover and even more ideas of stuff to do with our house.

Those places are truly dangerous!

Biscuit still loves naps. And when he gets tired, he goes to sleep. I guess that sounds like a simple thing, but I know moms who could duct tape their kids into their beds, and those kids would still find a way not to take a nap. We have never had that problem with Biscuit.

Some people ask if it's a hindrance to our schedule on the weekends. The timing can be frustrating, but frankly, we don't ever let it hold us back from doing anything.

The reason is, my boy will sleep anywhere. See?

Time for a nap? Yep. Just lay him down and give him a pocketbook on which to rest his head.

 We hadn't planned to be in the second store as long as we were, but Biscuit went to sleep, then we heard thunder and rain. So we decided to wander around and idea shop some more. An hour and a half later (really, no sane person should spend this long in these stores!), we were heading out of there.







Jeff asked if it was okay to ruin Biscuit's dinner, and I asked him what he had in mind. We went to a yogurt shop and got a treat. The place has miniature tables for the kids, so Biscuit parked himself in a red chair and told Jeff and me that we could go sit at a grown-up table.


He struck up a conversation with the couple at the table next to us. They asked him what kind of ice cream he had, then he asked them the same question. The man was having coffee ice cream.

"My Dad likes coffee," Biscuit said. "And cowboys like coffee, too."

The couple kept smiling and looking at us, as if we should be surprised by the conversation he was having with them. I just smiled back and nodded at them. I really wanted to say, "You have no idea how long it takes us just to get out of the grocery store when Biscuit is in a talking mood!"  

After a nap and frozen yogurt, Biscuit was refreshed and ready to go some more, so we hit a few more stores before heading home. And even though all of our purchases at the first two stores were practical, we each got a little something special before we found our way home.


Jeff got fancy toothpicks with spindle ends.
Jeff loves toothpicks. With a toothpick in his mouth, he can give me a kiss without even poking me. I don't know whether to praise his talent or punch him for being rude! I did buy him a tiny little toothpick holder for his pocket. So if you're ever eating corn on the cob around Jeff, you know where to go for the cleanup.


I got a giraffe ring holder.
I haven't worn my wedding rings a lot this summer. First it was because of the Fifth Disease swollen joints. Then it was because when it's hot, the skin under my rings gets irritated, so I have to leave them off for a few days. I always worry about where to leave them, so Jeff got me this giraffe ring holder. I bet his collar is worth more than the other giraffes' collars!


Biscuit got a new basketball hoop.

My Mama bought Biscuit an indoor basketball hoop with a soft ball, and he wanted to put it on the door of his bedroom. The only problem with that is that we can't always drop everything to go up and play with him. So I got him one to go in the kitchen. Yep. That's a basketball net on the back of my kitchen closet door.

Biscuit started tossing that ball like he had done it all his life. But what tickled me the most was his color commentary on his own playing efforts.

"He shoots, and HE SCORES!" Biscuit yelled after his first toss went into the hoop.

"Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!" Biscuit yelled after he got another one in.

"Okay, when I throw the ball to you, Dad, you throw it to the other teamer," Biscuit said. I was the other teamer. So Jeff threw it to me. I threw it to Biscuit. Then he threw it in the hoop.

It was a busy day followed by a fun night.

No comments: