Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Come fly with me

A post from The Daddy Man:

Biscuit and I were on our own for meals while Kimmy was out of town for her aunt's funeral last week. I'm not the best cook, so when I picked Biscuit up from day care, I asked him where he'd like to go for dinner.

"I want to go to the pancake restaurant," Biscuit said. "But a DIFFERENT pancake restaurant."

I asked him what he meant by that, and he said, "It's the one on the hill."

He and I had been there once before, and he remembered sitting at the counter on a swiveling stool. He also remembered that the pancakes there are shaped like Mickey Mouse.

We sat down at the counter, and the waitress walked over. "Hey, it's Biscuit," she said. She remembered our chatty little man from our last visit.

Biscuit told her what he wanted to eat and drink. Then while we waited on our food, Biscuit spun back and forth on his stool.

Biscuit cleaned his plate and made some chit-chat with the waitress while I finished my meal. He found out her birthday was near his (she's turning 18, and he'll turn 4). 

Biscuit also showed her his rescue helicopter. She made a big fuss over it as he told her ALL about it. He told her the noises it would make, and I kept telling him it was too loud for the restaurant. She just laughed and said the noise was fine.

As we were leaving, Biscuit said, "Dad, I don't want to go home."

"Where do you want to go?" I asked him. I figured he was hinting around for ice cream or doughnuts.

"Um, let's go to the airport," Biscuit said.

"The airport?" I asked.

"Yep. The airport," Biscuit said.

So we went.

Our house is about 7 minutes door to door from the airport, so we didn't have to make a big trip to get there. We've made the loop before, but we usually just circle around the loading zone and head back home.

As we drove up in front, Biscuit said, "Dad, let's go in."

I pulled into a parking spot and dropped a quarter into the parking meter. "Okay, I put a quarter in the meter," I said. "That gives us 15 minutes to go inside and look around."

"Okay, Dad," Biscuit said. "LET'S GO!"

We wandered around the upper concourse looking for a window to look out at the runways. All the stores in that area were closed with metal gates across their doors. We finally found a glass emergency door. I could just imagine Biscuit pushing on the door, setting off alarms, so I said in a very stern voice, "Don't touch the door. We're just looking outside."

We didn't see any landings or takeoffs, but Biscuit did see a couple of planes sitting on the tarmac.

"Ready to go?" I asked. "Our time is almost up."

"Okay," Biscuit said. "Can I have a neck ride to the car?"

I hoisted him up on my shoulders and headed home.

No comments: