Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tales of the table

We decided to have dinner out tonight. That in itself wasn't an issue. Biscuit is really good in restaurants. We've worked really hard to make it that way.

But every once in a while, he forgets all the things we've taught him about restaurants. That combined with the fact that we spent an hour shopping in Target and I broke the cardinal rule of motherhood by not having Goldfish in my pocketbook, combined with the fact that Biscuit is still getting over a cold, combined with the fact that our server was a bit pokey and we didn't get our food until about 20 minutes after Biscuit's usual dinner time. Put it all together and what do you have?

ONE GIANT MELTDOWN!!!!!

It took longer than usual for our server to greet us. We ordered our drinks and food all at once, hoping it would expedite the whole process. We sat for quite a while, then he brought back drinks, including the wrong thing for Biscuit. You wouldn't think it would take very long to go back and get the right drink. But I think he got lost between our table and the kitchen. We also asked him to bring back a bread basket so we could get some kind of food into the boy.

In the meantime, Biscuit sees food on all the tables around us and realizes he has nothing. Not even a drink. MELTDOWN!!!

Jeff took him outside for a few minutes, then I called his cell phone to tell him the bread basket and Biscuit's drink had finally arrived. That made life better for a little while. He ate half a piece of bread and had some drink. Then he realized he didn't have any real food. MELTDOWN!!!

I took him out of his high chair and calmed him down some. Our food finally came, and things seemed to settle down a little. Biscuit ate a few bites, then he dropped his fork. We didn't have a spare fork at the table, and our server was nowhere to be found. MELTDOWN!!!

Jeff gave Biscuit his fork. I ate a few more bites then gave Jeff my fork. I had so been looking forward to eating out, but I was not having fun. It was not relaxing. I found myself shoveling in my food instead of relaxing and enjoying it.

I shouldn't complain because restaurant experiences like tonight are so few and far between with Biscuit. But man, when the bill comes and you see the total, it's a whole lot better when you feel like you enjoyed what you paid for.

No comments: