Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Halloween

I know it's a few days late, but here's a picture of our group Halloween costume:

I had bigger plans for our c
ostume this year, but we had to go to S.C. for a funeral last week, and my shopping and preparing time went away. So I needed something that could be taken care of in one trip to the store. Somebody asked me how I decided what color each of us would be, and I told her that it was pretty simple. I grabbed whatever color sweatsuit was available in each of our sizes. Very simple, very easy.

Biscuit and I had sharp points, but Jeff said he didn't want to wear a hat because the black crayon is always the first one to lose it's point. I guess that makes him dull!

Friday night, Biscuit's day care had a Fall Festival. Jeff and I were the only parents who dressed up. I was surprised by that, but I didn't really
care. I love dressing up for Halloween. And if you know Jeff, you know that nothing really shakes him up.

The weird part of the evening was that as soon as we walked in the door, all these kids and adults starting saying hey and talking to Biscuit. And what was even weirder was that Biscuit seemed to know them, too. He has this whole social life that we didn't even know about.

Jeff said, "It's like he's a teenager already with a secret social life."

We figured out that it's all about timing. Biscuit is one o
f the last kids to arrive at day care in the mornings and one of the last kids to leave in the evening. So many of the other parents see him when they pick their kids up in the afternoon.

One man, who I swear looked about 7 feet tall, said hey to Biscuit in a really deep voice. He was standing behind me, and his voice was so deep that it startled me. But it didn't faze Biscuit. He just smiled and said hey. Then another man held his fist out, and Biscuit leaned over and bumped fists with the guy.

We struck up a conversation with a woman we had never seen before. She just went on and on about how much she loves Biscuit. She said, "He has such a big personality. Kids and adults both are just drawn to him." It was a nice thing for her to say, but it was pretty odd that this woman knows so much about our son, and we've never even met her.


The teachers had set up games in each classroom. There was a temporary tattoo station, musical chairs, pin the nose on the pumpkin, ball toss, and other games geared toward the kids. At each station, there was a bowl of candy for the bigger kids to choose from (mostly candy) and a bowl of stuff for the little kids to choose from (cookies and crackers). Biscuit had a good time, and we enjoyed watching him.

We spent the day at home Saturday. It was nice to just chill out with my boys. Jeff usually has some kind of game to cover on Saturdays during this time of the year, but he lucked out and didn't have anything this week.


Back in September, I made Jeff go to a consignment sale with me, just so he could see what they're like. I pointed out that Biscuit's size went from here to there, and if he saw anything we could use, grab it. I was looking for pants and long-sleeved shirts. And Jeff grabbed a Frankenstein-esque one-piece Halloween outfit. G
ood thing he had his priorities straight! It was awfully cute, though. See?

Sunday we had a Halloween party to go to. It was mostly adults, but there were a couple of cute kids there, too. It was funny to notice how Biscuit dealt with each of the other kids. There was a little girl about his age, and he didn't want her to touch anything that was his. But there was a little boy a year younger than him, and Biscuit just laid in the floor and talked to him like it was his job to entertain him.

Biscuit is still small for his age, so even though the other little boy is nearing the same size, Biscuit still seemed to know that the little b
oy was younger than him. It was pretty fascinating to watch his interactions.

We didn't take Biscuit trick-or-treating, mainly because he's not old enough to get it yet. Plus, he still can't eat a lot of the candy he would've gotten anyway. But I'm guessing next year, he'll be ready!

1 comment:

Her Hollyness said...

i loved that biscuit didn't act with me like he usually does until i took my wig off. taking the glasses off wasn't enough; he needed to be able to see my whole head and face to make sure it was me. smart boy! of course, he plopped himself into kevin's lap demanding he read a book with no hesitation, and he's barely spent any time with kevin at all, but ... (: