Saturday, November 6, 2010

Beyond rage

It's a good thing you can't get arrested for intentions. Because I intended to kill some rude lady today.

Biscuit and I took a friend to a holiday market here in town today. We were hoping we could catch some of the holiday spirit by looking at all the pretty Christmas decorations.

And it was working, until ... (insert swear words here).

This ... this ... woman! decided that whatever it was that she was trying to see was more important than my son and his safety. So what did she do? SHE SHOVED BISCUIT'S STROLLER OUT OF HER WAY!!!!!

Can you believe that? I felt a rage fly over me that was honestly quite hard to control.

I threaten violence all the time. I tell Jeff that I'm going to slap him blind. I tell bad drivers in traffic that I'm going to run them down. And I've probably made some even worse threats to other people throughout the years.

But the thing about all those threats is that they were harmless expressions of sarcasm and/or frustration.

Today, scared me a little. The only saving grace in the situation was that I saw the hand and arm of the rude woman, but by the time I turned around, she had been absorbed into a group, and I couldn't tell which woman had done the shoving.
I just had to walk away ... quickly ... to avoid just yelling out to this woman or even worse, to start swinging at any woman in the vicinity.

My friend saw me pushing Biscuit's stroller into an open space at the end of the aisle and came over to see what was wrong. I told her what happened and that I needed to stand there and breathe for a minute.

I would really like to have a conversation with that woman so I could ask her point blank, "What in the name of all that is holy was SO important that you needed to risk injuring a CHILD ... MY CHILD ... to see it or get to it or buy it?"

So much for holiday spirit. She could use a dose of that goodwill to all men stuff!

No comments: