Saturday, June 13, 2009

The thud heard 'round the world

We went to S.C. for Alyssa's birthday party last week. I had to make her a butterfly cake. Her party was on Saturday, and we spent the night at Mama's.

Sunday morning, Mama went to church, and Daddy and Jeff drove to town to get brake pads and rotors for our car. Biscuit and I stayed home to get lunch started before the whole crew came over.

I took Biscuit to the room where we sleep to change his diaper, and we started playing on the bed. I always grab Biscuit's feet, and he jerks them away from me. But I didn't take into consideration that the bed we sleep on there is a full size, and ours at home is a king.

I grabbed his foot, he jerked it away and ended up having just enough momentum to roll right off the bed before I could grab him.

I have never heard a worse noise than the thud of him hitting the floor.

I ran around to the other side of the bed and scooped him up. I wanted to squeeze him tight and tell him I was sorry and that everything was okay. But I also needed to check him out and make sure that everything could move properly and that there were no bumps on his head.

He was screaming like somebody was killing him and since I could tell he was okay physically, I knew it just scared him.

He cried so hard and so long that he wore himself out and got sleepy. He was still crying and was almost sleep, and I started thinking that if someone has a concussion, they're not supposed to go to sleep.

So the baby was crying, I was crying, I was scared to death that I had hurt him, I didn't know whether to let him go to sleep or not. It was a bad scene.

Luckily, just then Mama came in from church. She took the whole thing very seriously, but I could tell that she was laughing at me a little, too. She said, "Kim, if that's the worst thing that happens to him, he'll be fine."

A friend of mine told me last night that she heard an old wives' tale that says if a baby falls off the bed in his first year, he'll live a long life. Personally, I think some woman's kid fell off the bed, and she made that up to make herself feel better.

And now, I believe it with all my heart!

No comments: