Friday, June 26, 2009

The Daddy Man's Day

My first Father's Day, by The Daddy Man

I missed the beginning of my first Father's Day because I slept in. When I finally dragged my lazy butt out of bed and stumbled out into the living room, Biscuit and Kimmy were on a blanket in the floor playing with Biscuit's toys.

Once the boy was played out, he crashed into a nap, and Kimmy made pancakes ... and I helped. She doesn't let me do much in the kitchen, but I'm a master at stirring. She has to pull in the reigns on me, though, because I tend to get stir crazy. "Don't overstir the batter," she said, "or the pancakes will be tough." "How tough can pancakes be?" I asked. She was not amused.

Once my Father's Day pancakes were done, I made myself some Father's Day coffee. The pancakes and coffee came out good, and it didn't take long for both to be gone.

Kimmy gave me several options of how I wanted to spend my day. They included taking a picnic somewhere, going out for lunch or dinner or sending me off on my own to see a movie. I opted out of the plans and told Kimmy I'd rather just spend the day at home with her and The Boy.

Next came presents. I already had a set of baseball cards that Kimmy made for me. There was one for each month of Biscuit's life so far. The front of the cards had pictures of him from each month and the back had stats from that month ... learned to roll over, first Christmas, ate baby food for the first time, etc. They also included his length and weight for each month. They're pretty cool.

And speaking of cool, I got an army green T-shirt with a red griffin on it. Aside from being Kimmy's home town, a griffin is also a mythological creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.

I also got some cards from friends and family. I got one from Biscuit that talked about how he saves his morning spit-up just for me. I got a nice card from Kimmy, too. She wrote something really sweet on the inside, but she would kill me dead if I repeated it. The teachers at day care made cards for the dads and put the kids' footprints inside. That's a keeper.

We spent the afternoon just hanging out. The Boy is getting big, strong and restless. I spent a good portion of the day helping him stand up so he could bounce up and down and holler.

The day was capped off with a rare ribeye steak, some scalloped potatoes and some broccoli. Fantabulous. It icks Kimmy out to serve what she calls "raw" meat, but it was just the way I like it.

After dinner, we had individual chocolate peanut butter cakes. Two great tastes that taste great together. I ate all of mine. The last few bites were sickly sweet but still wonderful.

Never left the house. Only opened the door to shoot the squirrels with my pellet gun. All in all, it was a wonderful day. Can't wait 'til next year.

No comments: