Sunday, June 28, 2009

No means no

We are learning the word "no" ... and we don't like it!

We have a combination DVD/VCR that sits on a shelf under the TV, and it's at the perfect height for some little man to get to.

Biscuit rolled his way over there this morning and started flapping the VCR door open and shut.

I walked over, pulled his hand away, which made him flip over onto his back, then I said, "No."

He looked at me, flipped back over and started flapping the door again.

Again, I pulled his hand over and said, with a little more force this time, "No!"

He then proceeded to have the closest thing to a tantrum that I've seen from him. He let out a holler and jerked his hand away from me. All the while with a tight little scowl on his face. I didn't know whether to laugh or shake him.

Our little back and forth thing happened a couple more times before he finally got the idea that when I said no, he wasn't going to get to do what he wanted to do.

I wonder how long we'll go through this routine before it sticks? 20 ... 30 years?

No comments: