Wednesday, August 29, 2018

First day of school

Biscuit started the fourth grade this week. Can you believe it?! He's just growing up too fast.



He was worried about having to start with his cast, but I think he felt a lot better after the Open House last week.

He took flowers to his teacher, which seemed to mean a lot to her. Then she asked what happened to his arm, and he told his shortened, stock answer: "I got knocked down during a game at summer camp and broke both bones in my wrist," he said.

Then she said to him, "Don't worry. I got you."

He looked at her, then looked at me.

She held her left arm up and said that she had torn several ligaments in her wrist earlier in the summer and is still doing work to get it back right. And she is left-handed, so she told him she understood losing the power of your dominant hand for a while.

He grinned at that, and I could tell he was going to be okay with it.

The first day rolled around, and he got ready to go. The doctor told him to wear his sling for the first week to make a visual statement to all of his friends: "I'm injured. Don't bump into me."

He wasn't thrilled about that.

And then, we realized that with all his school supplies in his backpack, it was too bulky and heavy for him to manage on his own.

Since day one of kindergarten, Biscuit has insisted on walking into school on his own. When he was little, he couldn't say "by myself," so we still jokingly say "my byself" like he used to. And that's how he's started school every year so far — "my byself."

But we had to break the news that Jeff was going to have to go in with him on the first day, just to carry his backpack and help him get all his school supplies unpacked and into his desk and cubby.

He didn't like us horning in on his independence, but he knew it had to happen.

I picked him up, and he said his day was "Great!" And that's always good to hear.

No comments: