Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Dinner conversation

Sometimes when Jeff is working late on music lesson nights, Biscuit and I go out to dinner without him. 

If we eat at home without Jeff, we have a bad habit of not eating at the table. We'll watch TV while we eat, so he'll watch a show on his tablet, and I'll watch a show on TV.

But when we're at a restaurant, it's just the two of us, and we have some of our best conversations during those dinners.

Last week, he had what I call a big-picture music lesson. He practiced actual songs on guitar and piano, but the conversation was bigger. He and his teacher talked about mindset and what you can do with your musical talents. They talked about different kinds of music and how much music can affect people.

So while we were waiting on our food at the restaurant, I asked Biscuit a question.

"What do you like about playing the piano?" I asked him.

"I've got three words for you, Mom: It's so fun," Biscuit said.

"I get that," I told him, "but tell me something specific."

He thought for a minute, then finally said, "Well, the piano is just so, so versatile. You can literally play millions of songs. All kinds of music in all kinds of places."

I thought that was a good answer.

Then it was Biscuit's turn to lead the conversation. He loves to ask questions. Like, "If you could only listen to one kind of music forever, what would it be?" Or "If you could only eat one food for a year, what would it be?"

Well the other night, Biscuit's question to me was, "If you could have anything you wanted, what would it be?"

"I would want a gazillion dollars," I told him. "I could do a lot of good things with that kind of money."

"You'd be rich, Mom," Biscuit said. 

The server brought the check, and we settled up. I thought we were done with the conversation, but once we got outside and were walking to the car, Biscuit had more to say.

"You know, Mom ... some people get corrupted with that kind of money," he said. "But I know you, Mom. I really, really know you. And that wouldn't happen to you."

So dangit! If I every do strike it rich, I'll have to be on the straight and narrow!

No comments: