Monday, April 16, 2018

The last of the beach

It was a tragedy! I let Jeff pick out the dinner restaurants, and the first one he wanted to go to was one we've been to every time we've gone to that beach. Well, except for once when it had hurricane damage, and they were remodeling it.

So we were both excited to get there.

Until we pulled into the parking lot.

We could see through the windows that all the chairs were stacked on top of the tables, and there was a For Sale sign in the parking lot.

Noooooo!!!!!!!

So we tried a new eating spot that had been recommended by a couple of our friends. They both love restaurants, so we figured it was a pretty good bet.

The place has "mosquito" in the name, so we should have expected the swampy-looking decor.


Swampy with a touch of Easter.


And portraits of hungry skeeters!

We splurged and got dessert. This is our boy discovering chocolate creme brulee.

The outside decor was fun, too. I thought this border of real plates was cute, and then I noticed the sign - "Great Wall of China." Very clever.


There was quite a wait, so Jeff and Biscuit took a turn at corn hole.

I thought this was a pretty view, so I told Biscuit to stand against the railing. But the railing slanted back, and it left him in a weird post with his chin tucked in.


"Dude!" I said. "Stand up straight!" And the photo below is what I got.


While the boys were walking on the beach, I painted my toenails this pretty lavender color. When they got back, I asked them what they thought (like they have actual thoughts about toenail colors!).

"Pretty," Jeff said.

"Mom!" Biscuit said. "You have Easter egg toes!"


I can't remember how we took this photo or why it was so red, but I told him this was Evil Biscuit.

I woke up really early one morning, and it took everything I had not to jump up and down on the bed telling him to get up!

And him, too!

And last but certainly not least, we had to stop by one of the 58 beach stores within a mile on the main part of the island. Where I grew up, we lived a little over 2 hours from the beach, so sometimes we'd go for the day and come home that evening. And sometimes we would stay a while.

The first time I took Jeff to that beach, we drove down the Grandstrand, and I pointed out all the hotels I've stayed in. I didn't realize quite how many there had been!

Anyway, since Jeff grew up in the mountains, the beach still fascinates him. And when I say that, I mean the ocean, the sand, the seafood, and yes, the tacky souvenir shops. 

No comments: