Saturday, April 7, 2018

Better beach

The last time the three of us went to the beach, Jeff had pneumonia and couldn't possibly have enjoyed it. 

The only positive for him was that our room was oceanfront, so he could see the ocean from his sickbed. Poor Dad had to watch from the balcony as Biscuit and I built sandcastles and collected shells.



That was in November 2016, just before we had an onslaught of illness (Jeff, Biscuit and me) and two surgeries (Jeff and me). So we didn't go at all in 2017.

Biscuit asked several times if we could go, but we just couldn't make it work.

So I decided after all of Jeff's traveling for basketball, we would use Biscuit's Spring Break to take a family trip.

Then I looked at the calendar and realized that the Monday of Spring Break was media day for our local minor league baseball team — you know, the one Jeff covers. And Thursday was their first game — and Jeff would have to be there, too. So a Spring Break trip was out.

Biscuit was out of school for Good Friday, so I thought that if we picked him up just as soon as school ended, we could already have the car packed and just hit the road for a long weekend.

And this was despite the fact that Thursday was Crazy Hair Day, and Biscuit was sporting flaming red locks! 



We ended up getting him a haircut before we left town, and the stylist washed all the color out.

Then I remembered that Biscuit was supposed to be going to my parents' house that weekend to start his Spring Break.

I was beginning to get pretty frustrated.

I sat down and looked at a map, trying to find a place we could meet my parents Sunday afternoon to swap off the boy. I found a good spot they could get to in a little over an hour. But it was going to add two hours onto our trip.

I told Jeff about it, and in typical Jeff fashion, he said, "Let's do it." Sometimes he takes the jumble of mess in my brain and turns it into something logical!

We got to the beach late Thursday evening. We stayed at the same hotel as the pneumonia trip, but we were surprised to see the rooms had gotten a nice makeover.

I think as soon as we saw the ocean, time just started moving more slowly. We relaxed, and I reminded Jeff and Biscuit that we didn't have any plans, so we weren't going to hurry anywhere. I brought food for breakfast and lunch, so we could bum around from the time we got up until dinnertime.

No comments: