Friday, March 25, 2016

All About Me

Biscuit's class had an assignment recently to make an "All About Me" poster. They could use drawings, pictures, magazines, even small 3-D objects (medals, small toys, etc.) to show the class what they're interested in.

Biscuit's brain immediately went into overdrive with all the things he wanted on his poster, including his first baseball medal (from two years ago), some "Star Wars" figures, some other little toys and cars ... just a bunch of stuff that I could see going to school and never coming home.

So in an effort to distract him, I gathered some magazines, then we looked at some pictures on my computer to print out, and we got to work on his poster.

He said he wanted to explain where his name came from, so I typed it up and printed it. I guess that's a good enough place to start.

"Since this is a group project for the whole family, I'll handle your name and the pictures, and you can be in charge of the magazine pictures and the writing," I told him.

"It's a plan, Mom!" Biscuit said.



I chose pictures for baseball, his cousins (since he doesn't have any siblings), piano and "Star Wars."

He chose magazine pictures for nature, chocolate, pizza and the beach.

Then he got a worried look on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Well," Biscuit said, "I really love history and the presidents, but I can't find any pictures of anything like that in these magazines."

"Who are your favorite presidents?" I asked him.


"Well, there's Abraham Lincoln," Biscuit said. "He's the tallest president. And George Washington ... because he was the first president. And you know I like Theodore Roosevelt because he had more pets than any other president."

So I found pictures of them to go on the poster, and he was satisfied with that.

The kids had to hold their poster up in front of the class and explain each thing. The other kids had evaluation cards that they filled out for each of the classmates. They checked boxes to say if the speaker was loud enough, if he or she spoke clearly, if the poster was good, if the explanation matched the poster, and a couple of other things. And there was a place for extra comments if they wanted to add something.

A couple of the kids said Biscuit talked too fast. And one girl wrote an extra comment, "Grate!"

No comments: