Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

It's been a while since I've shared any Biscuit stories, and I'm blaming the in-laws! Jeff's parents left yesterday morning to go home after their winter visit. It takes us a few days to get back to our normal routines, especially Biscuit. He misses them already.

I think Biscuit enjoyed them better this year than he ever has. We took them to the beach on New Year's weekend, but after that, we just sort of laid low and spent a lot of time at home. We didn't have any big projects for my father-in-law this year, so I think he got a little antsy. But as soon as Biscuit got home from school, he and Grandpa played superheroes and all kinds of other stuff.

So to get back into the swing of things, here are a few things Biscuit has said recently:

Imagination: Every once in a while, I'll have my laptop open when Biscuit starts telling me the storyline of whatever it is that he's playing. Here's a transcription of one of his recent adventures.

"This is Space Captain. He can breathe in space without a space helmet."

"He can put his shield on his back, and it turns into a jet pack that can fly him from planet to planet. When he throws his shield up, it can turn a star into something he needs. He throws his shield, and just before it hits the star, he yells out something he needs, and the star turns into it."

"Then Space Captain can fight off aliens. He goes to different planets to keep aliens from hurting Earth. He protects the universe. The bad guys are out there, too.

"The good alien is Johnny. He knows karate, and he doesn't even take lessons. His master taught him. All the good guy work together because that's how it works."

There was more, but since I was typing, he didn't think I was paying attention to him. So I closed my computer and gave him my full attention. I just love hearing his stories and scenarios. And I love his expressions as he tells his stories to me.


Home sweet home: I was watching a home renovation show, and they told the purchase price of the house.

"Whoa!" Biscuit said, then he asked the purchase price of our house.

I told him, and his jaw dropped.

"That's so much money, right, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"Yes, it is," I said. "But since most people don't have that much money at one time, the banks will let you borrow money from them. Then each month, you pay a little of the money back until it's all paid for. You can do that for houses and cars."

"Well, you guys picked just the right house," Biscuit said.

We continued to watch the show, and the couple sold their old house to get to move into a new place.

"They might sell their house, but we're never selling ours, right, Mom?" Biscuit asked.


"Well, we don't plan to," I told him. "We're hoping to be here for a long, long time."


To the rescue: This isn't actually something that Biscuit said, but Biscuit was the subject of it, so I have to share it anyway.

Biscuit had a playdate at one of the local bounce houses Sunday afternoon with a friend who is just as superhero-crazy as he is. The boys always play well together, and I enjoy spending time with the other mom. And the boys are old enough now that we moms can find a spot to sit down and the boys can go off on their own.

I was a little worried when the boys came walking back toward us, and Biscuit was crying, and Biscuit's friend was clearly worried. He was just bouncing beside Biscuit.

I asked what happened, and Biscuit's friend said, in a very excited voice, "This big kid ... he just pushed him ... he just pushed him down."

"Are you okay?" I asked Biscuit.

"Um, Mom," he said through big ol' tears, "that bigger boy just shoved me in my chest, and I fell down. And it hurt my ... it hurt my, um, bottom."

I hugged Biscuit and started to wipe away his tears, just as his friend took off running.

"WAIT!" his mom yelled. "Where are you going?"

The kid stopped, pointed his finger in the air, and in an intense voice, he said, "I'm going to seek vengeance!" and took off running again.

"No, no, no," his mom said as she chased him down. She had to explain to him why he couldn't seek vengeance, but I just thought it was a very sweet thing that this kid wanted to stand up for his friend.

No comments: