Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

First word: Biscuit is always asking me to tell him stories about when he was little. When we were at the beach, he wanted me to tell him about his first trip to the aquarium there. Remember this?

So Biscuit asked me all about when he first started talking.

"What was my first word, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"It was 'Dada,'" I told him.

"What?!" Biscuit asked.

"What do you mean, what?" I asked. "Your first word was 'Dada.'"

"Oh," Biscuit said. And he seemed disappointed.

"Do you have any other questions?" I asked him.

"No, not right now," Biscuit said.

That evening, Jeff was giving Biscuit a bath, and Biscuit said, "Dad, did you know that my first word was 'Dad' and my second word was 'Mom'?"

"Yes, boy, I did know that," Jeff said.

Jeff was a little surprised when Biscuit said, "Dad, it just makes me sad. I wish my first word had been 'Mom.'"

I felt bad for Jeff. "That doesn't mean that you love me more," he explained. "It's just easier for little kids to make 'd' sounds, like in 'Dad.'"

"Okay," Biscuit said. And then he moved on to the next topic of conversation.


New word: Right now, everything is a race for Biscuit.

If we meet Jeff for dinner and are in separate cars, it's a race to see who gets home first. If it's time for Biscuit's bath, it's a race to see who gets to the bathroom first.

And of course, when you have a race, you have to have some way to start it.

Biscuit prefers, "On your mark, get set, go!" And I'm usually the one who has to say it. But I guess it takes more energy than he was willing to spend to ask me to say, "On your mark, get set, go."

So he came up with a word for it.

Biscuit was playing with some of his cars, and he said, "Mom, can you say the offrance?"

"Can I say the what?" I asked him.

"You know, the offrance," he said.

"I'm not sure what that is," I said.

"Oh, it's just a word I made up," Biscuit said. "The offrance is when you say, 'On your mark, get set, go.' So will you say the offrance?"

"Sure," I said. "On your mark, get set, go."

The funny thing is that he made up this word then within a week, he forgot it.

He was playing in the living room this week, and I said, "Can you tell Grandma about the word you made up?"

And he couldn't remember it. I reminded him, and he said he wouldn't forget it. But I bet he will. Maybe we need to start a Biscuit dictionary!

No comments: