Monday, January 19, 2015

A surprise gift

Jeff and I went out to get some pizza the other night and stopped by to pick up a few things at the store while we were out. I strolled through the toy department while Jeff took care of a return. About this time of year, they create a toy sale aisle and offer some pretty good prices.

There was a toy Biscuit asked for before Christmas, but I thought it was too expensive for what it was. The price was $30. The week after Christmas, they marked it down to $19.99. Then last week, it was $12.49. Then the other night, it had been reduced to $6.49. Sold! 

The thing is about 2 1/2 feet tall, so I told Jeff that we would leave it in the car when we got home, then after Biscuit went to bed, he could bring it in and hide it. I figured we'd come across some occasion that would warrant a prize.

Sunday afternoon, Biscuit and I were busy, busy, busy. We practiced his piano lessons, and we did lots of homework. One of his assignment included writing from 0-60. That's a lot for a little kid, especially after we had already done a few other assignments.

So I told him, "If you finish your numbers, I will give you a treat."

When Jeff and I were at the store, I also picked up an underwear and undershirt set with one of his favorite characters on it. And it came with a mask, too. It was only $3.

So when he got to 60, I had him close his eyes and hold out his hands. I gave him the underwear set, and he was way too excited.

Jeff was working until early evening. My in-laws are back with us after a stay with Jeff's brother and his family, so Jeff wanted to take them out for a nice dinner. I told Biscuit that we needed to get him dressed and ready to go, so he ran into our bathroom with me close on his heels. When Biscuit realizes he's being chased, he always squeals and runs even faster. He went straight through mine and Jeff's bathroom, right into our closet.

"There's no way out," I said to Biscuit. "You've got to come out of there sometime!"

"Okay, Mom," Biscuit said. "I surrender! Don't get me!"

"Okay," I said. "Come on out, and I won't get you."

While I was combing Biscuit's hair, he said, "Mom, would it be okay if I had just one more treat today?"

"I don't think I have another treat to give you," I told Biscuit.

He smiled and started pointing his finger toward my closet. "I think you do," he said.

Then I realized that the on-sale toy I had picked up was in clear sight in our closet. Jeff didn't hide it in a bag or under anything, so Biscuit saw it in plain sight.

"Go ahead and get it," I said to him, "but your father is in BIG, FAT TROUBLE!"

Biscuit took his toy into the living room to show his grandparents. They asked him where he got the toy, and he said, "Well, I can't tell you that, but I can tell you that YOUR SON is in BIG, FAT TROUBLE!"

No comments: