Friday, October 3, 2014

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:


A tall order: "Mom, did you know that President Lincoln was the tallest president we ever had?" Biscuit asked.

"I actually DID know that," I said.

"And he wore this crazy tall hat," he said, "so when he was in a crowd, and he was speaking to the people, they could see him."

"How cool is that?" I asked Biscuit.

"And he's on pennies, too," Biscuit said.

"Yes, he is," I said.

And of course I'm hoping one day that Biscuit knows that Lincoln did some pretty presidential stuff, too.


He done good: Biscuit told his music teacher at school that he's taking piano lessons. So she told him she'd like for him to play for the class sometime.

So when Biscuit got to music class this week, his teacher called on him.

I felt terrible when he told me because I had promised him that I would make a photocopy of one of his songs. But she called on him before I remembered to do it. Luckily, he knows a couple of songs by heart, although they're songs he learned a while back and don't really show his most up-to-date skills. But of course Biscuit didn't care. He was just excited to play.

When I picked Biscuit up that afternoon, his music teacher was getting in her car right beside us. She saw Biscuit and introduced herself to me.

"He's definitely my class helper," the teacher said. "He already knows the stuff I'm teaching."

"I hope he's not being a know-it-all," I said.

"Oh, not at all," the teacher said. "Although I did think it was funny today. I was talking about short notes and long notes, and he said, 'Um, excuse me, those short notes are also called quarter notes.'"

I rolled my eyes, and she laughed.

"That's perfectly fine," she said. "I think it's good for the others to see how much he knows. It encourages them to learn more. Also, any time a kid is willing to perform in front of other people, especially his peers, I'm going to encourage it."

"I appreciate that," I told her.

When Biscuit and I were on the way home, I asked him how it went when he played for his class.

"It was good, Mom," Biscuit said. "I played 'See-Saw,' then when I was done, I stood up and bowed (just like his piano teacher has taught him to do), and you know what the kids in my class did?"

"What did they do?" I asked him.

"The clapped like crazy and started yelling 'Robbo, robbo.'"

It took me a minute to realize that the kids were yelling "Bravo, bravo," but Biscuit didn't know the difference. The teacher had told them how to respond when he finished, and I just thought that was really cool.

And of course, now, when Jeff and I see something we like, we're yelling "robbo, robbo."

No comments: