Monday, June 3, 2013

To tell the truth

Have you ever seen one of those sit-coms where the parents and kids have a heart-to-heart talk and the parent says, "I've never lied to you."

Yeah, right.

I would bet both of my dollars that all parents have lied to their kids about one thing or another.

Right now, our fibs revolve around food. And I don't have a single ounce of guilt about it.

Biscuit used to eat anything you'd put in front of him. He loved to try new things. Now, he's hit that picky stage that so many kids go through.

We make Biscuit try new foods, but we don't force him to eat things he doesn't like. But even if it's something he didn't like last time I made it, he still has to try it every time. And because he knows that's the rule, he protests a little bit, but not too much.

But I have no problem whatsoever tricking Biscuit into eating different things.

Like at Mama's house this past weekend. She made fried squash. I knew Biscuit would like it, but because it was something different, I also knew that we'd have a hard time getting him to eat it.

"Hey, look!" I said to Biscuit. "Grandmama made chips for you."

"Chips?" Biscuit said with his eyes getting big.

I put about five slices on his plate and even told him he could dip them in ketchup if he wanted to. He ate the first slice and said, "Mom, these don't taste like other kinds of chips."

"That's because Grandmama made them homemade," I said. And he ate all five slices.

Tonight for dinner, we had ... are you ready for this? ... Pizza Mountains!

It's a casserole that has ground beef, tomatoes, cheese, onions and some other stuff. It has a popover crust on top that puffs up in bubbles. Hence Pizza Mountains.

It was so pretty, I had to take a picture of it.



I cooked some corn and beans to go with the Pizza Mountains, and Biscuit cleaned his plate.

So if making up a fun name for a dish or telling a little white lie to get Biscuit to eat better is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

No comments: