Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Drawing pictures and blending in

Putting pen to paper: I've mentioned how much Biscuit has progressed since he started at his new daycare, especially with starting to write and improving his drawing skills.

Don't get me wrong, he won't be doing calligraphy on invitations or getting art exhibits anytime soon, but just to see him learn enough to be interested is really great. He's starting to associated shapes with pictures -- like circles for eyes and a square for the base of a firetruck.

Here's a picture of Wolverine that he drew on his chalkboard yesterday:


See the fingers that stick straight out from the hands? And then on the left hand, there are some lines that go straight down? Those are Wolverine claws.

It's fun to see him get excited about drawing something that actually looks how he wanted it to look.


Camouflage: Biscuit is fascinated with animals who are able to change their appearance to blend in. 

"Mom, that animal is camouflaging," Biscuit will say. 

"Yes. And why do animals do that?" I'll ask him.

"To hide from animals that are trying to eat them," Biscuit will say.

"Do you remember what those animals are called?" I'll ask.

"Pray ... pre ... I don't remember how to say it," Biscuit will say.

"Predators," I'll tell him. For some reason, he has a brain block on the word "predator." He can never remember it.

Jeff was getting Biscuit dressed this morning, and he put on some green shorts that have a jungle print on them.

"I picked you out some camouflage shorts, boy," Jeff said.

"But Dad, who am I hiding from?" Biscuit asked.

I had a checkup appointment this morning, and I didn't see Biscuit's outfit until we got home this evening.

As soon as I saw him, he said, "Mom, guess what?"

"What?" I said.

"I'm blending in," Biscuit said. "See me? That way, no pray ... pre ... what are they called?"

"Predators," I said.

"Yeah. That way no predators can get me," Biscuit said.

Here's his blending in outfit:





No comments: