Saturday, June 22, 2013

Grooming and gabbing

A post from The Daddy Man:

Biscuit likes getting his hair cut, but I don't think it has anything to do with personal grooming. I think it's more about having a new conversation companion.

I took Biscuit for a haircut yesterday evening. We go to the cheap place near our house, and we always ask for the same stylist - Casey. She always does a nice job.

The only time she gave him a questionable cut was the last time, and that was his own fault. Casey was trimming his sideburns, and Biscuit jumped. Zip! His sideburn was gone. So of course she had to cut off the other side, too. But even with that little snafu, it was still a good haircut.

Yesterday, Biscuit's usual stylist went on break just as we got there, so we took the next available stylist. I didn't catch her name, but Biscuit didn't need an introduction to start up a conversation.

"What toys do you have?" Biscuit asked. The stylist giggled, but before she could answer, Biscuit started telling her about his own toys. 

"I have two helicopters - a big white one and a small blue one. I also have some cowboys. I got those for my second Christmas. First Christmas was at Grandmama and Papa's, and my second Christmas was at my cousin's house." 

Biscuit says he had three Christmases, one at Kimmy's parents' house, one at my brother's house with my parents, and one at home.

"I think I might still have some Barbies around," the stylist said.

"Guess what? You know what one of my cowboys' name is? John Wayne. I have his house. The roof's broken, but it still works."

"Okay. I might have some bears, too," the stylist said.

"Guess what?" Biscuit said. "You have to stay away from brown bears, but Dad has a golden bear on the back of his shirt, and golden bears are nice." The golf shirt I was wearing did have a little bear on the back.

And then he totally switched gears. He looked up and saw the stylist's belt in the mirror.

"Hey. Why is your belt shiny and big like that?" Biscuit asked. She was wearing a wide belt with rhinestones on it.

She laughed and said, "I just think it looks good with this outfit."

"It's shiny, and it sparkles, too," Biscuit said. The stylist turned the chair around, so Biscuit could see it better.

She was pretty much done with his haircut by that point. We walked up to the cash register, she rang us up, and I paid her and gave her a tip.

"Thank you," she said, "but I would've cut his hair for free. That's the most fun I've had all day."

No comments: