Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe

A few things Biscuit has said recently:

More stories: Sometimes Biscuit gets little books from restaurants or other places, and we have to read them, regardless of what the story is about.

Quite often, there isn't much to the story. Like the one I read him last night.

"The End," I said.

"Well that didn't take very long, Mom," Biscuit said.

If you were to bet on what happened next, I hope you bet that I had to read him another book to make up for the short length of the first one.


No respect: Biscuit got some nice block kits for his birthday. He's too young to put them together by himself, but he loves playing with them when they're done. And I've discovered that I love putting them together.

Last weekend, I spent about 40 minutes building a firetruck with doors that open and tool compartments that raise up. It's really cool, and after seeing how much he loved it, I was proud of myself for making the time to put it together.

Later that evening, Jeff and Biscuit were upstairs together. A piece of the firetruck I built broke off, and Biscuit asked Jeff if he could fix it.

Jeff put it back together, and you'd have thought he handed Biscuit a million dollars!

"DAD!" he said. "You fixed it! You fixed it! You pulled me out of the ocean, and you put my toys back together when I break them, and that's why you're my hero!"

And what appreciation do I get for building the dang thing in the first place? Nada!


Coming home: Weekend before last, we went to my parents' house for a combo birthday dinner for my oldest niece and Biscuit. Mama figured out that we'd be leaving Sunday evening, and the following Thursday was Thanksgiving. So she asked if they could just keep Biscuit and bring him home when they came here for the holiday.

Jeff and I got to see a couple of movies and do some shopping while Biscuit was away.

At one point, I asked Jeff if I was a horrible mother. He asked me why, and I said, "I feel like I should be pining away for Biscuit, but I'm perfectly fine without him here. Does that make me a terrible person?"

"Of course not," Jeff said. "It's not like he's gone forever. You know he's coming back day after tomorrow, so it's perfectly fine to enjoy your time without him."

As my parents were driving into town, Mama looked out her window and said, "Hey, there's the farmers' market."

"Yep," Biscuit said. "That's the farmers' market. My dad and I went to a car show out there one time." (And I'd like to mention that I was at that car show, too, but once again ... no respect.)

Then when they got a little closer to our house, Biscuit said, "Just three more turns, and then I'll be home." Then he proceeded to name the roads Daddy needed to take to get him home.

Even though I didn't sit around pining for him, and my whole house was neater and quieter, I was glad for Biscuit to be home.


Listen up: I have mentioned before that Biscuit turned 4, and his ears stopped working. He definitely has selective hearing these days.

A couple of years ago, this restaurant had an annoying song as part of their TV commercial, and Jeff sings that song quite often, to the complete annoyance of Biscuit.

"Dad!" Biscuit will say in a stern voice. "Don't sing that song anymore."

That's usually when I say something like, "Don't tell Dad what to do."

Then Biscuit will follow up with, "Dad, will you please not sing that song anymore?" And Jeff will finally agree.

This morning, right after Jeff brushed Biscuit's teeth, he started singing the jingle. And Biscuit wasn't having any of it.

"Dad," he said. "I've told you more than once not to sing that song anymore. You need to listen to me better."

Hmmmm. I wonder where he's heard that before?!?

No comments: