Sunday, November 4, 2012

Out of the mouth of my babe -- the beach version

A few things Biscuit said while we were at the beach:


At the fort: When we were at the fort, Biscuit had lots of questions about the soldiers.

"Where are the soldiers, Mom?" Biscuit asked.

"No soldiers live here now," I explained to him. "They used to live here, but now, it's just a place for people to visit."

"Mom, I have to pee," Biscuit said. So Biscuit and I left the fort and made our way all the way back to the visitor's center. I was quite a trek.

"Mom, where did the soldiers pee?" Biscuit asked.

"Well, they would've peed outside," I told him. "They didn't have bathrooms like we have now."

We walked into the bathroom, and Biscuit said, "Mom, the soldiers didn't pee in this bathroom because this is the bathroom for girls. Except for right now, because I'm a boy, but I have to pee in the girls' bathroom when I come with you. Did the soldiers pee in the boy's bathroom?"

"No, baby," I said. "They had different kinds of bathrooms back then."

As we left the bathroom, Biscuit saw a display with several military weapons. I was glad we could move on from the bathroom conversation. Or so I thought.

"Mom, why do soldiers carry guns?" Biscuit ask.

Holy moly! How the heck am I supposed to handle that one?!? 

Luckily, as I was trying to form my answer, we saw some other visitors and Biscuit struck up a conversation with them about being at the beach. Whew! That was a close one.

The wedding: Jeff and I got married on the beach right beside the hotel we stayed at on this trip. Biscuit is fascinated with our wedding. When he sees any of our wedding photos, he always asks about my "fancy dress", and he wants to know about mine and Jeff's wedding rings and how our wedding happened.

"Mom, when you and Dad got married on that beach, I didn't get to go?" Biscuit asked.

"No, you didn't get to go," I said. "But that's only because you weren't born yet."

"But if I had been born yet, you would have let me go there?" he asked.

"Definitely!" I said.


A former life: Jeff and Biscuit were talking about the ocean and ocean animals.

"Dad, when I was just a baby, we came here, and I saw a humpback whale. His name was Mighty," Biscuit said. He heard that name on one of the cartoon shows he watches.

Biscuit is really interested in time and ages. He often says things like, "Dad, when you were my age ..." or "Mom, when you were a baby ..." But sometimes it's a little different. He'll say, "Mom, when you're my age, I'll let you go to my day care" or "Dad, when you get to be my age, we can come back to the beach." Maybe Biscuit has found a hole in the time-space continuum.


Making a splash: We found a lot of sea shell fragments washing up on the beach. I'm not sure if it was because of the storm or the time of the year or what. But a lot of them were really thick chunks of shells.

In other words, great for splashing.

Biscuit would pick up these pieces of shells and get very, VERY excited about the splashing possibilities.

"WHOA, Mom! Check out this one!" Biscuit would say.

Or if there was one that had an unusual shape or appearance, he'd pick it up and say, "WHAT IN THE WORLD?!?"

After he collected his shells, he would walk as close to the water as he could get without getting his boots wet, then he would lean back and throw them as hard as he could. And as he launched each shell, he would yell, "CANNONBALL!!!"

Has my kid been watching '80s party movies without my knowing about it?

No comments: