Saturday, November 10, 2012

Happy birthday, Biscuit!

Today is Biscuit's fourth birthday. And I can't believe it's been four years already. 

It seems like only yesterday that Jeff and I were trying to figure out how to be a family with just the two of us. Then all our hopes and efforts came to fruition.

We got Biscuit.

Biscuit has a great sense of humor. He's really smart and is able to apply things he learns to his everyday life. He's a loving little boy. He loves hugs and kisses. He gives great compliments, and even as young as he is, he seems to know what to say to make people feel better. He has beautiful blue eyes, and when he isn't showing off his fake version of a smile, he has a very sweet grin. Biscuit is not intimidated by people. He strikes up conversations wherever we go.

Biscuit loves books, cars, baseball and horses. He loves pizza, honey chicken and chocolate milk. Well, anything chocolate, really. He loves Johnny Cash and often sings along because he's heard the songs so many times, he knows the words. Sometimes we'll be riding down the road, and from the back seat, we'll hear, "I fell into a burning ring of fire. I went down, down, down, and the flames went higher. And it burns, burns, burns ... the ring of fire ... the ring of fire."

Biscuit loves cowboys and firefighters best of all. And what he doesn't know is that tomorrow morning at 11 a.m., we're going to meet some of his friends at a fire station near our house for a tour.

As Biscuit and I were walking into the house this evening, he stopped on the sidewalk, looked up at the sky and said, "Mom, do you want to make a wish on a star?"

"Sure," I said. "You go first."

"I wish I could meet a REAL firefighter," Biscuit said.

"I think your wish might just come true," I said.

This morning, I toasted a waffle and put a candle in it for Biscuit's breakfast. Jeff brought him downstairs, and he was all excited. He closed his eyes, made a wish (probably for the same thing he used his star wish for), then blew out the candle.

As he started to eat his waffle, he looked up with tears in his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

He answered me in a halting, trembling voice, right on the verge of tears.

"Mom, we sent out my firetruck invitations, but nobody came," he said. "Nobody is here, Mom. And I don't have any cupcakes. I just have this waffle."

My heart broke right in two!

"Baby ..." I said to him. "Today is your birthday, but your birthday party is tomorrow. All your friends will be here tomorrow. And you WILL have cupcakes."

"I'll have a party tomorrow?" Biscuit asked, his face looking a little brighter. "Everyone will be here tomorrow? And I'll get cupcakes?"

"Yes," I assured him. "We'll have a party tomorrow."

Let's hope Biscuit's birthday wish comes true.

Biscuit couldn't decide between the two fire truck pictures I showed him,
so I made invitations with both and sent half of each out to our guests.
 

Biscuit's birthday waffle.

Biscuit makes his wish.

The candle is out. Time for syrup!

Our friends who recently moved away sent Biscuit
presents. I let him open them this evening.
Check it out ... a firefighter Christmas ornament.

A new game! Biscuit likes to play games. Plus,
it's something the three of us can do together.

Party pictures to come tomorrow.

No comments: