Sunday, November 4, 2012

Home sweet home

Leaving vacation is always hard for me. I feel like I have to squeeze in the last few things I wanted to do, the last restaurant I wanted to eat at, the last stores I wanted to shop in and the last few photos I wanted to take. And of course, all of this can't be done in just a few hours.

When my Mama goes on vacation, the last day is strictly travel time. You check out of the hotel ... sometimes even before the usual 11 a.m. ... get in the car and drive home.

Meanwhile, here's how our "leaving day" goes:

  1. We check out at the last possible second (this morning it was actually 5 minutes after the last possible second).
  2. We do stuff, eat, shop and take more pictures.
  3. We finally start driving toward home, spending the first 15 minutes talking about how we should've left earlier than we did.
  4. We wait until way past our usual dinner time to force ourselves to pull over and eat somewhere that can't compare to the good restaurants we gone to during our trip.
  5. Then we get home way too late to unpack or do laundry or do much of anything, really.

Thankfully, we bookended our vacation with weekend days, specifically for the packing, unpacking and laundry duties. Not to mention recuperation.

One more day, then back to the grind.

No comments: