Saturday, June 12, 2010

You're too quiet

Every morning this week seems to have had a different theme for Biscuit. It's almost like he woke up with something on his mind.

Tuesday morning, it was frogs. "Fog, Mama. Wibit. Fog." Over and over and over again. Frogs go ribbit, Mama.

Wednesday morning, he was obsessed with the shirt he was wearing that day. It was a gray T-shirt with a basketball on it. "Ball. Shirt. Shirt. Mama. Ball. Ball. Shirt. Mama."

Thursday morning, he woke up early, so I put him in bed with Jeff and me. Then he had to name off everybody's facial features. "No, Mama. No." He doesn't put the S at the end of nose yet. "Eye. Eye. Eye. Mama." And on he went through nose, eyes, ears, mouth, hair, hands and teeth. He named them on me. He named them on his Dada. Then he named them on himself.

But Friday morning, Biscuit was eerily quiet. He was just standing in his crib waiting for me to pick him up. No crying. No talking. No nothing. It was creepy. I started feeling his face and forehead to see if he had a fever.

"Good morning, baby," I said to him.

But he just whispered back, "Hey, Mama."

My boy loves to eat, especially in the morning. If you even say the word "eat," you better have something ready to go in his mouth.

So I said, "Are you ready to eat?"

"E," he said in this quiet little voice.

I have a standing dinner date with some girlfriends on Tuesdays, and this past Tuesday, one of my friends witnesses Biscuit pitching a little fit. I forget what it was about, but less than three minutes after the fit, Biscuit was laughing and talking like nothing ever happened. She was amazed at how quickly his mood shifted. And I just said to her, "Yep, such is the life and temperament of a 1 1/2-year-old.

But even though I had told my friend that just Tuesday, this sudden change in Biscuit's demeanor was just freaking me out. Biscuit was fine. He was just having a quiet morning. But of course, it's my job as the Mama to worry that something is horribly amiss!

Jeff got him ready for day care, and I dropped him off. When I picked him up that afternoon, he was back to his talkative self.

It's just hard to imagine that the baby Jeff and I made has turned into this little person who has his own moods and emotions.

No comments: