Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Potty mouth?

I've heard horror stories about toddlers learning inappropriate words and using them at all the wrong times.

One of my favorite stories was from a pediatric doctor I worked with when I was a phlebotomist. The mother of one of his young patients shared a story about her little girl going down to the front of their church for the children's sermon. The minister always commented on how nice the kids looked, so when he saw this little girl smoothing out the full skirt of her dress, he said, "That sure is a pretty dress you're wearing this morning." To which the little girl replied, "Yeah, it's pretty, but it's a bitch to iron!"

The mother said her face turned several shades of red as all the parents in the auditorium turned to see her reaction.

So when my little Biscuit called me "whore" Saturday morning, then pointed at my bra Sunday as I was changing my shirt and said "boob," I was more than a little concerned.

Don't worry. He hasn't gotten a potty mouth yet.

Saturday morning, I was sitting on the couch, and Biscuit climbed up to sit with me. He was sitting on my leg. He looked me right in the eye and said, "Whore." I raised an eyebrow and said, "What did you say?" And he repeated it ... several times. So I asked him again to repeat himself. And he said the same thing over and over.

Finally, I said, "I'm not sure what you're saying, Biscuit." Then, he started bouncing up and down on my leg and said, "Hore!"

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!" I realized. "You want my leg to be a horse. I get it."

Then Sunday, as I was changing my shirt, he pointed at my bra and said, "Boo, Mama. Boo." Again, I gave him a perplexed look and tried to figure out what he was saying.

I glanced down and realized that he was saying "Blue." My bra was blue, and they've started with colors at day care.

I know the day will come when he blurts out something he isn't supposed to say, and I know it's going to be at the most inopportune time, but I just wasn't ready for it to happen yet!

1 comment:

Her Hollyness said...

thank the lord my bad-mouth influence hasn't rubbed off on him yet!

though i was impressed at how perceptive he was being at first ... (;