Saturday, April 17, 2010

The eyes have it

It’s amazing to me how little kids learn things. I bought Biscuit a book called “Happy Baby Words.” It has pictures of babies, body parts, clothes, toys, food and other stuff.

We’ve been reading the book together, and any time we find something he has (eyes, ears, nose, ball, etc.), I stop and show it to him in the book, then show it to him in real life. I thought this would help build his vocabulary, but until today, I didn’t know if it was working or not.


Jeff and I were playing outside with Biscuit, and I got something in my eye. As I was rubbing the side of my face, Jeff asked what was wrong, and I said, “I’ve got something in my eye.”


Biscuit said, “Eye, eye” and pointed to his eye. I was so surprised and excited.


I made a big deal about it and said “yay” and “good job,” to which he always claps for himself.


Then, he stuck his finger up his nose and said, “Nose, nose.”


I looked at Jeff as if to ask whether we applaud him knowing his nose or tell him not to stick his finger up his nose.


Then at the same time, Jeff and I both went, “Yay! Good job!” and clapped for Biscuit. And of course, Biscuit clapped for himself, too. Good job.

No comments: