Saturday, July 25, 2009

The seat saga

(A post from The Daddy Man.)

One morning last week, I took Biscuit to day care. Kim normally does the morning run. I might do it once a week. Everything went fine, and I went off to work as normal.

I told her I'd pick him up in the afternoon, too, but my work ran long, and I had to let her know that I couldn't make it.

I was about 3/4 of the way through writing my story about UNCG's basketball schedule, when the phone at my desk rang. It was Kim. She was at day care and needed the car seat to bring Biscuit home.

I told her I'd bring it right away and hung up. But the instant I hung up the phone, I remembered: When I dropped Biscuit off that morning, I carried the car seat inside. I remembered this because he was fast asleep inside it when I dropped him off.

When we drop off or pick up at day care, we have to clock in or clock out. So while she was waiting on me to bring the car seat, Kim had already clocked Biscuit out and had stepped out to one of the rocking chairs on the front porch to finish feeding him a bottle he had started.

I called her three times on her cell phone, but with the traffic noise from the busy road the day care is on, she never heard the ringing.

Finally, I called the day care and talked to the director, Miss Cindy. I asked her if Kim was there, and she said she was sitting outside.

Cindy stepped out to let Kim know what had happened. She said she wondered why Kim was sitting out there instead of going home, but that she had always liked those chairs, too, so she didn't think too much about it.

After Biscuit woke up from his nap that morning, the morning teacher had taken him out of the seat and put it in their closet, but the afternoon teacher didn't realize that. So Kim had to go back in to get it. Biscuit is too heavy now for her to carry him in the seat, so she put his empty bottles and other stuff in the car seat and carried it in one hand and Biscuit in the other.

So after four phone calls and about 15 minutes, we got everything sorted out. I finished my story, and Biscuit and Kim headed home.

We've already decided that when he moves into a bigger car seat, we're going to head off this problem from the get go ... we're buying two of them.

No comments: