Sunday, July 26, 2009

Crawling to safety

The bathroom floor is almost dry now. Earlier today, there were two distinct paths of dampness.

When one of us isn't home and the other one needs to take a shower, Jeff and I take Biscuit in the bathroom with us and let him play. We're lucky that our master bathroom is pretty big, so we spread an afghan out on the floor, throw down some toys, and Biscuit just hangs out.

Until today.

He's been getting more and more mobile, especially over the past week, but I didn't realize how much until today.

Our shower has glass walls, so I could see him playing. But I swear, I think he watched until I needed to close my eyes before he made his move. I rinsed the conditioner out of my hair, and when I opened my eyes, he was gone.

I opened the shower door and leaned out. He had scooted and rolled from our bathroom into our bedroom. I grabbed him up, dripping water everywhere, brought him back into the bathroom and closed the door. He didn't like that at all. He rolled back over to the door and hollered at it. Then he rolled onto his back and started banging his feet against the door.

I got back into the shower and got the water adjusted. Then just as I closed my eyes to soap up my face, I realized it had gotten awfullly quiet. I quickly rinsed my face and opened my eyes. I have a knit robe that hangs on the back of the door. It has a long belt that was hanging down just far enough for Biscuit to get his hands on it.

He had one end of the belt in his mouth and was in the process of rolling over. Guess where the belt was. Yep. Wrapped right around his little neck.

I moved a little quicker getting out of the shower this time. I left another trail of damp carpet behind me. By the time I got to him, he had unwrapped himself and was just grinning at me. I did a quick look around to see if there was anything else he could get into. I didn't see anything, so I finished my shower.

I was reading an article online the other day that talked about babyproofing your house. I thought they were going a little overboard when they suggested that the parents should get down on all fours and crawl around the house looking for things the babies could get into.

After my shower experience today, I'm thinking Jeff and I will be doing some crawling around our house next weekend.

No comments: