Thursday, March 5, 2009

My sick boys

As a first-time parent, I worry about everything. Is Biscuit warm enough? Is he too warm? Did he eat enough? When do I need to increase the amount of formula he gets? When do we start giving him cereal? When do we start with baby food?

So when Biscuit caught his first cold at day care, I spent a week worrying about what to do to help him get better. I used blankets under his bassinet mattress to elevate his head while he's sleeping. It's supposed to help him breathe better. I used saline drops in his nose to break up the congestion. I've been using a humidifier at night to add moisture to the air he breathes. I've read chapters in books and entries on Web sites about babies and colds. But still, I wonder, should I take him to the doctor? Is there something else I should be doing?

My mama said that all mamas have those thoughts - first-timers or not. So I'm trying to relax and depend on my instincts. But everyone who knows me can tell you, I'm not really good at relaxing. I usually leave that to Jeff!

But I'll tell you, I have never seen anything more pitiful than my sick little boy ... well, unless you count my now-sick husband!

Biscuit woke up all smiles this morning. I could tell that he's feeling better. So now that my little baby is okay, I'll turn my attention to my big baby! Feel better, Jeffy.

No comments: